percussion and drums

drought

how do you guys use percussion in your drum patterns.( i'm talking about percussion instruments such as tambourines, bells, chimes, crashs, ride cymbals or basically any cymballs?) I wanna spice up my drum patterns any advice would be nice.

thank you

My personal taste is, I like to often replace my hi hats with tambourines. It completely changes the feel of a track, most of the time for the better. I like to put a lot of reverb on bells and use them as counter melodies in the background. I like to put my crashes on the 1 with kick to bring some energy. If I use a ride its usually a 4x4 to get a constant head nod, (I typically do hip hop beats). And if you're looking to specifically spice up your percussion you don't to have to go directly to percussive instruments. You would be surprised what a simple bleep, blip, zap, or ting can do for a drum pattern. Take a bongo hit pitch it up 8 semitones or so and see what you get, or maybe a tom drum hit, or triangle. Throw some effects on it, change the tones. Im sure you'll come up with something you like.

The Key is to give each instrument their own voice and think of it from a drummers perspective of how he would play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7SdIgT-BMA... this is grant McFardland playing a a groove with a lot of cymbal work look how he use each as its own voice. Hip-Hop is much simpilar in style but the concept is still the same. Make a strive to make unique the voices of each cymbal.

Lately I haven't even been using traditional instruments at all. I've recorded samples from my Zippo lighter that I use for various cymbals and such and use the ignition of the lighter as a sort of high hat or snare, depending on what sort of effects treatment I give it. smetz2 has solid advice as well, think like a drummer and how they might play.

Back