Pad Sound?

wxlvs

can anyone help me re-create the the first pad sound in this tune? thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like a saw wave. I would use 2 oscillators - maybe 3, if you want to add a subtle noise contour to it (but only a very tiny bit). Play around with the cents, detune the oscillators slightly (+/- 8 to 12 cents on either side) to get the sound as thick as possible, before reaching for any chorus or unison effects. Try out some chords until you're happy.

Then onto the Amp Envelope. There are two variants of the same synth in the track. The first one with a slightly late Attack and short(ish) Sustain and Decay. Also, the Filter Envelope is a little slow on the Attack.

Later it comes in properly, as a pad: full Sustain, 0 or very quick Attack and a small amount of Decay (but hardly any Release, if any at all). No Filter Env trickery here, I think.

The other difference between the two instances is that in the first, the highs are shaved off with an EQ (stuff above 6kHz, I'd say), whereas in the second, only some really extreme highs are slightly trimmed.

Then it all depends on your DAW and the synth you're using. That's when the stereo widening comes in. And the choruses and so on. Although I'm not in front of a DAW right now to tell you precisely, I would probably also split the lows and highs and EQ + compress them separately.

"pad" can be a very generic term. Are you referring to the synth that's playing from the start, or the one that kicks in around the 10 second mark?

Back