Over-tweaked, over-listened and now I hate it. Anyone else get this?

Wapiti

Hey Guys,

Lately everything I make is amazing right off the bat, but I know it doesn't sound quite right. So I start to tweak until eventually I don't even know what I am hearing anymore. It sounds like it should be good but for some reason it just isn't. I grow a hatred for my track, and motivation to keep going on anything. I Just literally can't decifer if my track is amazing or complete garbage. Anyone else get in these slumps? how do you get over them?

Wapiti

Sometimes you gotta walk away from a track. Come back with fresh ears and go from there. Maybe work on something else then come back. I've ruined a lot of my songs by trying to make it "bigger" or "better." I think this happens to most of us. I know it happens to me from time to time lol.

Hey Guys,

Lately everything I make is amazing right off the bat, but I know it doesn't sound quite right. So I start to tweak until eventually I don't even know what I am hearing anymore. It sounds like it should be good but for some reason it just isn't. I grow a hatred for my track, and motivation to keep going on anything. I Just literally can't decifer if my track is amazing or complete garbage. Anyone else get in these slumps? how do you get over them?

Wapiti

when you say tweaking are you tweaking audio or notes?

If audio reset all levels and panning and eq and fx and start again (after saving the project as a new file - you may want to go back and find something that worked later)

If composition (the notes) then get in the habit of making interim project versions so that you are never more than day away from the last version you liked

In either case always start each new session with a fresh save of the project and get into the habit of saving often and serially numbering the project (every hour or so should be enough to save you untold heartache later)

This is where computers have crueled it for composers - the old habits of writing new pages and keeping the old discarded ones has gone and there is literally no notebook trail left for future reference by the composer or future musicologists looking to understand the processes of composition used by a particular composer

You are not alone on that one. When I work on something for too long Ill get sick of the beat im making. But like R 8tch said, its always good to take a break and come back later. My problem lately is deciding when to give up on a sample im trying to use for a beat.

You got a soundcloud profile or something? Im down to check out what you got and can give you some honest feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/kimjungbill

^ Heres my page, if you got a min, you should let me know if my beats are shit or not. In the same boat as you.

Last edited:
Back