"Outdated" Hip-hop sound... need to modernize my beats?

Dandeezy

Hip-Hop Producer
I was talking to an A&R and she told me to send her some of my stuff (usual procedure). She said she like my sounds... if I was a producer in the 90s. Basically the mix is alright and the sample chops are on point but she said it's missing a modern finish to it. As of late, I've been thinking a lot about that too... I feel like there are producers (J. Cole, Jake One, Statik Selektah) that keep their sample chops very similar to the older producers like DJ Premier and 9th Wonder but their beats seem more "modern" as this A&R told me.

Anyone have an opinion on this or want to share some tips with me? Here are some examples of my work...

Have you considered that labels often has a certain sound they prefer sticking to? Maybe your sound isn't "outdated", it's just outdated for their label. If I were you, I would send my demos to more labels and see what they say.
In the end, do what you like to do... if you like the oldschool sound, then stick to it.
Though I'm no hiphop guy.

No, it's dated. The mix needs more bottom on the 1st joint, 808s and basslines are dominant these days, even with "boom bap" stuff. Don't be scared to layer in a few 808s. You're going to want to incorporate innovation into anything you do. You don't still build a car like it was built in 1950. Some will oppose, but they're not the guys talking to A&Rs trying to get placements.

I do WTF I want, because I'm not trying to get placements, and I still understand that you have a demographic you're trying to reach and you'll have to cater your sound to them. Depending on who walks thru my door for a beat, I have to have something that fits their style. The beats you showcased aren't at a current enough level to compete with the next guy who samples and still provides all the other elements current records have.

You got to put in some elements the hoes can twerk to. 808's, 16th note hi-hat patterns and a fatter bassline is a start. Maybe lay off the samples, try playing them instead.

You got to put in some elements the hoes can twerk to. 808's, 16th note hi-hat patterns and a fatter bassline is a start. Maybe lay off the samples, try playing them instead.

i agree with the first part, not the second. i don't sample myself but if samplings your thing do you. financially it's not the best idea in general but if it's what you love doing do it.

Don't change your sound, unless you want to. She probably just said that as a way of saying "sorry we are not interested" and that doesn't mean she doesn't like your beats necessarily but she just doesn't think they are fitting for the artists on her label or whatever. Remember their main priority is money too. I like your beats and there are heaps of artists who would be perfectly suitable for them right now. Guys like Joey Bada$$ and pro era, Freddie Gibbs, Bishop Nehru, Dillon Cooper etc.

A&Rs are idiot robots...listen to 90 percent of the "newer" stuff that's coming out and it is what your producing you just need to either remix the low end or add some more to it and you'll have artist come ringing at doorstep

i understand what the a&r may be saying-- but everything 90s has been coming back with a force. you may have the ability to create this 'outdated' sound that many current producers will lack. 90s house is back, maybe 90s hiphop is coming soon. :)

Have you considered that labels often has a certain sound they prefer sticking to? Maybe your sound isn't "outdated", it's just outdated for their label. If I were you, I would send my demos to more labels and see what they say.
In the end, do what you like to do... if you like the oldschool sound, then stick to it.
Though I'm no hiphop guy.
Yup, still trying to find the sound to identify me but this area of music is what I enjoy making the most by far, I've tried experimenting with other music.

No, it's dated. The mix needs more bottom on the 1st joint, 808s and basslines are dominant these days, even with "boom bap" stuff. Don't be scared to layer in a few 808s. You're going to want to incorporate innovation into anything you do. You don't still build a car like it was built in 1950. Some will oppose, but they're not the guys talking to A&Rs trying to get placements.

I do WTF I want, because I'm not trying to get placements, and I still understand that you have a demographic you're trying to reach and you'll have to cater your sound to them. Depending on who walks thru my door for a beat, I have to have something that fits their style. The beats you showcased aren't at a current enough level to compete with the next guy who samples and still provides all the other elements current records have.
I think this was what I've been thinking a lot to myself. I know the basic hard hitting boom bap kick isn't what it used to be and maybe my sound needs to evolve a little from there. I'm not necessarily trying to get placements either, an A&R asked me to send her my stuff based on a good relationship I built with this one indie cat. I think you have a point saying I would sound outdated compared to someone else being more innovative with the "traditional" sample flips.

I have difficulty getting the sound I want through original composition. I think that has more to do with the soundsource than anything though I may need to look into getting better original MIDI sounds...

Don't change your sound, unless you want to. She probably just said that as a way of saying "sorry we are not interested" and that doesn't mean she doesn't like your beats necessarily but she just doesn't think they are fitting for the artists on her label or whatever. Remember their main priority is money too. I like your beats and there are heaps of artists who would be perfectly suitable for them right now. Guys like Joey Bada$$ and pro era, Freddie Gibbs, Bishop Nehru, Dillon Cooper etc.
Yeah, a few older heads told me to look for the right guys. I agree that I haven't really found my market but at the same time I'm more interested in building with artists instead of producing lease-able beats to pop anyways.

Hey DD, that stuff may sound "outdated," but I'm digging it!

GJ
Appreciate the love!

^^^Don't take my critique as a declaration for you to completely change your sound, but it's like...if someone is asking for a showcase of your material, I'd send Trey Songz a completely different group of songs than say...Tove Lo or...Fabolous.

If you're sending stuff to any A&R, all they want to here is placeable stuff(being that's all they can use and what their job depends on). It's like if I was sending them full finished songs, I'd skip the boom bap stuff I record with guys talking about modern world events(unless they absolutely asked for tracks in that realm), and send them more catchy stuff. Even when sampling, and staying true to boom bap elements, you're going to want to give them stuff guys like Wiz, J. Cole, KRIT, Kendrick, Ab, ect. can be heard on. Even A$ap gets on boom bap from time to time but it has a little more of a modernized sound.

It's simply a matter of playing the game or choosing not to.

^^^Don't take my critique as a declaration for you to completely change your sound, but it's like...if someone is asking for a showcase of your material, I'd send Trey Songz a completely different group of songs than say...Tove Lo or...Fabolous.

If you're sending stuff to any A&R, all they want to here is placeable stuff(being that's all they can use and what their job depends on). It's like if I was sending them full finished songs, I'd skip the boom bap stuff I record with guys talking about modern world events(unless they absolutely asked for tracks in that realm), and send them more catchy stuff. Even when sampling, and staying true to boom bap elements, you're going to want to give them stuff guys like Wiz, J. Cole, KRIT, Kendrick, Ab, ect. can be heard on. Even A$ap gets on boom bap from time to time but it has a little more of a modernized sound.

I feel like I understand what you're saying. Appreciate the insight.

i understand what the a&r may be saying-- but everything 90s has been coming back with a force. you may have the ability to create this 'outdated' sound that many current producers will lack. 90s house is back, maybe 90s hiphop is coming soon. :)

I like that sick of talking joint, it takes me back..real dope

Haha thanks guys, I like seeing that the golden age hip hop era is still at the hearts of a lot of people just not on the mainstream level. From going to university and seeing special event nights like hip-hop karaoke being so popular, I know it's still at a place where it's not completely dead. I think people at the end of the day respect boom bap as the defining style of the genre as many fans of the genre do as well so real is real I guess.

This is a complete side-note but Statik Selektah just released another song on his upcoming tape. It's called "Alarm Clock" with Ab-Soul, Jon Connor, Logic and Francesca. This is the exact example of a type of modern emcee mixed with older production and making the record more 'modern.' I don't know, it's such a hard concept to explain in words.

Last edited:
Back