Oldchool Beats

C

Chump

Ive been usin Reason 2.5 for a few months now and have been practicin at makin some beats. I'm into oldschool stuff like grandmaster flash and Run DMC.

What i wanna axe is how to make beats that sound an have that oldschool feel. I tried usin quantnize on my beats and scream to beaf them up but they dont flow. Can anyone suggest any tips or links to help me with this?

Thanks, any help would be apreciated.

Most of the sounds were attained using dynamics and effects. Valve, tape saturation etc..
Regarding the actual programming. Most of the beats were played live and rarely programmed. If you need to understand a bit more on the techniques used or the way they were constructed, there is a good sample cd by Zero-G called 'Mo Funky Elements'....crammed full of old school beats and samples.
Study and use that.

I agree with samplecraze. Most of the original hip hop sound was made with natural tape compression. I have a good friend of mine that is also a hip hop producer and he gets old records and finds a break in the song where you hear a sample that you want (ie. snare, kick, hat...) So he takes a single kick drum and adds some compression,(he uses an LA2A for obvious reasons) but in most cases, the samples already have the compression on it from when it was reorded. Then you take the kick and line it up in the song however you want and change the volume so it sounds more human. This is just one way to get the oldschool sounds that you want. This was supposed t go in the oldschool thread...sorry

Back