Is it okay if beat doesnt sound through laptop?

Dennis1990

Some beats I made that I just let the melody play with the 808s sound good on speakers but when I play the beat through the laptop the 808s can't be heard.

If the beat sounds good thru big speakers should that only matter or be first priority?

If not,
how should I mix the low end rumbles so they are heard through laptop speakers?

it is a hard call as to whether it is good or not to hear your beats sounding good on laptop speakers - you may need to consider the use of an octave harmonic on the 808's (just a smidge) to make it heard well on your laptop speakers

I think you should just listen beat to big speakers because laptop's speakers are shit. Even when you play profesionally mixed and mastered song you don't hear all the parts well as with big speakers. You can for reference just listen to your beat in car or from tv speakers to see if there is the same problem.

Laptop speakers are as stated above pretty bad for checking the bass with...
Who even listens to music on laptop speakers and expect depth in the sound? Don't worry if you can't hear it.
If you want to see if the bass is "audible" on cheaper systems that many people use, choose cheap earbuds (like the iPhone ones) or cheap speakers (like those classic Philips/Sony/etc speakers with a stunning 3" woofer).
And first make sure that other tracks are audible as well on those systems before you start to worry about your lowend.

If you try those systems and you're not happy with the lowend, do what BC said. Saturate them and/or layer another sound with lowend an octave higher plus harmonics (as long as they're not muddy).

Last edited:
Then again, unfortunate as it is, a lot of people do listen to stuff with those shitty laptop speakers, so I don't think it can be completely disregarded. I think it's a good idea to have the beat work in an environment like that, even if it doesn't really sound that great.

One thing I have been taught is to mix your audio in any kinds of speakers you can. You don't have to necessarily be able to hear an 808 through small speakers, it's just helpful.

I have $40 Logitech speakers. And apple ear pods. I begin making my music through the speakers, and then usually late at night when I can't wake people up with my music; I put on the ear pods and can hear an immediate difference. Things will sound louder, and other things quiter. Also the "stereo seperation", you can tell sounds different but that's cause the sound is going into each ear canal rather than your room, bouncing off your walls and stuff and into your ear.

My advice. Try to mix you music to both your big speakers, and use headphones along with your laptop speakers to make sure it sounds good on all. You'll not only learn how certain things behave in the mixing realm. Like transients, sub harmonics, stereo field, low mid and high bands. But it'll also introduce new things creatively. Like panning, or trying to make things centered or wide out. That's how you should mix your music. I think.

Last edited:
Back