Notes/Chords in this Song?

caycay

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out the notes and chords in this R&B song? Usually I would just do it myself, but im not perfect at it, and I need it to be exact so I can really break down the song and see what makes it R&B/neo soul. And also so I can try and figure out how the different chord progressions come in sooo smoothly when it jumps from the verse to the chorus. This is the link: Chrisette Michele - Love Won't Leave Me Out - YouTube Any help appreciated. thanks

I don't have the patience to transcribe each and every note haha, but I smell bandcoach all over this. lol

Typewriter starts then
Intro
D[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup]-G[sup]bmaj7[/sup]-G[sup]bo7[/sup]
verse 1
chorus
D[sup]b11[/sup]-D[sup]b11[/sup]-D[sup]b11[/sup]-G[sup]bmaj7[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup]
D[sup]b11[/sup]-D[sup]b11[/sup]-D[sup]b11[/sup]-G[sup]bmaj7[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup]
verse 2
chorus
verse 3
chorus
outro
tag

chords
D[sup]b[/sup] ~ D[sup]b[/sup]-F-A[sup]b[/sup]
B[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] ~ B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-F-A[sup]b[/sup] (so just a decoration of the first chord)
G[sup]bmaj7[/sup] ~ G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-F
G[sup]bo7[/sup] ~ G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-F[sup]b[/sup]
D[sup]b11[/sup] ~ D[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup] (could also call this C[sup]b[/sup][sub]/D[sup]b[/sup][/sub]
E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] ~ E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]

F[sup]b[/sup]= E
C[sup]b[/sup] = B
G[sup]b[/sup] = F[sup]#[/sup]
A[sup]b[/sup]= G[sup]#[/sup]
E[sup]b[/sup] = D[sup]#[/sup]
D[sup]b[/sup]= C[sup]#[/sup]
B[sup]b[/sup] = A[sup]#[/sup]

Riffs
the main descending pattern is just playing in thirds as a downward scale-arpeggio mix (sometimes it skips a scale step)
In the verse, under the G[sup]bo7[/sup], the last 3 quavers/8ths are C[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup] in the bass pushing us back up to the D[sup]b[/sup] chord
In the chorus in the G[sup]bmaj7[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup], the bass descends by semitone G[sup]b[/sup]-F-E-E[sup]b[/sup] in quavers/8ths - i.e. the G[sup]bmaj7[/sup] chord is a stab on the first quaver and the E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] is a held chord on the 4th quaver of the bar.

Last edited:
Intro
D[SUP]b[/SUP]-B[SUP]b[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]-G[SUP]bmaj7[/SUP]-G[SUP]bo7[/SUP]
verse 1
chorus
D[SUP]b11[/SUP]-D[SUP]b11[/SUP]-D[SUP]b11[/SUP]-G[SUP]bmaj7[/SUP]-E[SUP]b[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]
D[SUP]b11[/SUP]-D[SUP]b11[/SUP]-D[SUP]b11[/SUP]-G[SUP]bmaj7[/SUP]-E[SUP]b[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]
Thanks Bandcoach....What does the "0" mean in the g flat chord notation?....Also, the scale is Db major right? Am I doing something wrong, because I think im getting an E note in some of the chords?....

the o indicates diminished - jazz usage only requires the o to signify the full o7 chord, I prefer to be explicit

yes E - Fb

Back