Not sure what title to put here, but it's an important question.

Deezel

^How do I change ths name
I've been doing some research on this topic with no luck lately.

Basically, my main concern is, what qualities of a beat or song give it it's feel? That probably didn't make sense so I will elaborate.

Certain music sounds like naturally sad music...

Some music gets you pumped up...

Some music sounds scary. (Although, I kinda figured that one out already.)

My question is let's say I want to make a real energetic beat, what type of sounds/melodies/drum pattern should I aim for? And I'm talking about actual music, not lyrics.

Maybe you just don't understand what I'm trying to ask which is understandable because I couldn't find the right words to ask Google either. I'll try and add actual examples this time (maybe some videos).

I've been able to figure out that using tritones or any combination of notes with alot of dissonance in music gives it that haunted house feeling which is why it is heard in alot of scary movies. And ironically in alot of gospel music. I've also figured out that using alot of ambient sounds or pads, etc. usually makes songs more relaxed and laid back. I'm asking this because I really like music that is not laid back at all, kinda like music you would listen to during a fight or when you're working out, but lately I've been making the exact opposite type of music unintentionally. I know all those types of tracks have a few things in common as far as scales and sound selection, I just can't pinpoint it yet. That's what I'm trying to ask. I hope that clarifies it more.

And no, I haven't been able to look at the video yet, Im busy with homework but I will eventually.

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

Aight so, not to take the attention away from my previous post, but I just watched that video and The stuff he was talking about in the first two min is kinda the basis of my question, but it always made me wonder how people could say stuff like "man the Gmin scale sounds so much more mysterious than the Cmin scale." I could never figure that out either since theyre the exact same thing just with different root notes.

Just reproduce songs that you like that sounds like you want it. If you are not able to find the right patches, play the right chords etc none can actually get you any far but you.
Keep on practising, listen to your library of loops and patches. Or listen to libraries online. GEt the sounds you need. Then produce. Rinse and repeat. 100eds of times.
All of a sudden it stands clear to you.

Simple as that.

And energic beat? Experiment with the right kind of loops. If its house music, get a house library. And VV.
Remake songs you hear on the radio or online, thats the first thing you should do to learn imo.

Keep it up.

Last edited:
energy comes from rhythmic movement/momentum and interplay between different layers of a piece

mood comes from scale type/chord progression in use

acoustically there can be a difference between scales of the same base type being played on real instruments as opposed to on virtual instruments or the piano tuned to equal temperament. There are also 3 base minor scale to consider natural, harmonic and melodic, each with slightly different characteristics, as well as several modal minor scales

Trying going up for your happy tones and going down for your sadder tones. A low end piano key makes a more depressing tone then a high note piano key. I feel what you say, but on top of all of that just let the music move through you. Also take the guys advice above too. ^^ BC

happy works if the intervals are major intervals in either direction (moving by 2, 4, 9 or 11 semitones), sad works on the basis of semitone movement up or down from a note or via the minor intervals (1, 3, 8, 10) in either direction

Underlying it all is the use of colour tones from outside the scale (semitone higher or lower than the current note or your target note) as well as using scale tones as described above......

Preciate all the help from you guys.

Can any of you give me examples of how I should phrase this in google so I could do some more research on this?

Just speed up your tempo/bpm if you want to make your track more energetic

You can change the color of your music by adding in some notes that are not apart of the scale you start off with.

- Usually minor scales sound more sad
- Major scales sound more happy and positive

-A slower tempo/bpm gives a more relaxed soulful feel..a faster tempo/bpm gives a more bouncy and energetic track.

-Having your melody jump up an octave can give it a real optimistic/happy feel.

You can change emotions by having a repetitive melody then surprising the listener at the end of a 8bar phrase by changing to an unexpected note(s). Also you can change/increase/decrease energy in a track by keeping dynamics in your music.

For example your verse could be at a certain volume..then in your chorus/hook you can raise the volume higher. This is used in film scoring a lot. Modulating pitch and volume on instrument(s) makes things more emotional and realistic too

It's best to be subtle with these effects though.

There's a lot of different possibilities.

Last edited:
I have no clue what you mean by that.

LOL, try googling modes of the major scale and chord progressions. Holland helped you out a great deal with his response.
I also suggest studying some tunes in the style of music you want to produce, most if not all of your answers are there.

Last edited:
Thats true, but I still need to know what to ask in google.
Google can´t teach you this. Pick a song that you feel sounds like what you want to learn to do.
Then start remaking it from scratch in your DAW. Break it down to small tasks. One sound at a time.

^ I've tried that, but still wasnt able to pinpoint what I wanted. I guess I'll just keep trying. Thanks anyway.

And I know exactly what a modes are. Not what I was asking for.

Lol so what are you asking. Cuz it looks like to me you are just asking people how to make the kinda music you want to make at the moment you are making it. and within that insanely vague question people are giving you some pretty damn good feedback as to how to go about that and it is still not enough. Lol there is nothing to search into google for this closes thing is modes like holland and pump said earlier. If you know what modes are then you know that they are different ways to play normal major key and give it different flavors and emotions, sad, energetic, haunting. Like you were asking. If i was you i would stop looking for some big thing to put into google and start researching all of the small ones. Like modes, ear training, intervals, harmonies, progressions, rthym. And practice the **** out of it cuz reading about this shit will do nothing for you until you learn how to recognize the moods for yourself and how to change between them.

^ Again, I know about all of that stuff. I've been doing music theory before you guys could probably talk (except for maybe Bandcoach). It's not a music theory thing, it's more of a sound design thing. Like how some sounds sound dull or flat compared to other sounds which can make a beat sound boring. The problem is, I can't think of how to properly phrase the question which is why I'm getting all these answers which are actually true, but not what Im looking for.

Try "the psychology of music" or something like that which will elaborate on modes and explain how our social cognitive functions which evolved to interpret the sound of emotions in human speech also detect the same patterns in other sounds such as music.

I talked before you! :berzerk:

Keep it up, remaking a sound at a time. It´s that simple.
Search your library of synths and effects to remake the sound. If you can´t do it, google can´t either.

Ofc it is much easier to remake a synth sound if you KNOW what produces it.
But I haven´t heard of anyone getting that gift any other way than these two ways:
1) Work with someone better than you that can teach you
2) Do it the hard way, grind on by your own.

"I just wanna make you sweat"

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Back