Need help making this sound

dragonalex

I have been trying to make this sound for ages but it isn't working, I'm using massive, I have FM8 aswell. The sound I'm trying to make is at 0:50 on Katy B - Lights On (Cold Cuts Remix). Someone posted the link below. Please check it out, even if you have no idea you'll probably like the songs :D
Anyway, not the bass, the high pitched sound. This sound is also very similar in Hannah Wants - What I Want. I don't want to just straight up sample it because it feels like cheating, I want to learn how to make my own sounds. I hope someone can help, thanks :D

Last edited:

it's square wave with pulse width mod of about 55% - i.e. slightly asymmetrical

fast attack fast decay moderate sustain, fast release for the vca adsr

filter is about 65%, resonance is turned up to about 25%, filter also has ana adsr modulating it with similar settings the vca one

try a very simple synth engine to create this in like 3osc

Last edited:
Thanks mate, very helpful. Also thanks for posting the link too. However I don't have 3osc. I tried this in massive. However I didn't know what you meant by a pulse width mod on a square wave. Thing you can help me there. I also have u-He diva if you use that.

a square wave is a pulse wave with a duty cycle of 50% - i.e. 50% of the time it is high, 50% of the time it is low (+1/-1 amplitude)

So a pulse width modulated square wave is one where the on-time or off-time is made longer - technically there is no difference between the two (55% on is the same as 45% on and so on out to 99%/1%), though there are some interesting phase shifts in the harmonics if you look at the Fourier transform of the two forms in the phase dimension

3osc is free KVR: ThreeOsc by Klinikal Inc. - Details

or you could try these subtractive synth vsts (also free)

KVR: Kamilla by Scoofster - Details

Back