Need Help with Compressor

D

dusty rhodes

i was wondering if you could help me out, heres the deal my compressor/limiter, seems to have different number settings for some,

like for example
for drums you have these settings:
Threshold: -10db to -15db
Ratio: 6:1 to 8:1
Attack: 3ms
Release: 10ms
Knee: Hard
Gain: +5db to +7db---

ok, for the threshold, and ratio, the numbers are the same,

but for attack there is no 3ms, the numbers start from 0.1, 1, 10, 50, 100, to 200,..

and for release there is no 10ms, the numbers start from, 0.05, 0.3, 0.5, 1, 2, and 4,..,

there is no knee setting,
or a gain setting,

there are a output, exprander/gate, and enhancer process knobs,

i was wondering if you could help figure out what the settings would be for the attack, release, expander/gate, output, and enhancer process,
thanks for helping me out,
im using the behringer mdx1400
thanks,

dusty

Hello,

There is no set "rules" on how to use a compressor with any sound.

My advice would be to fiddle with the knobs to learn what they do to sound.

Once you have that down, then you can start adding compression to your sounds.

There is one "rule", don't overdo it. And dont use the compressor because you happen to have it, add it because the sound can use it.

Hope this helps!

There are no settings for "drums" etc coz each individual drum sample has been recorded with a unique combination of drum, mic & position, mic pre amp, gain level, EQ etc etc etc...

So what works for one snare drum or kick etc will not work for another. The truth is that you need to work out HOW to use a compressor and to know WHY certain changes in certain parameters create particular effects.

Here's a good article that should help your understanding and enable you to know WHY something sounds like it does and HOW to get the sound you want. :)

http://gonzoft.tripod.com/articles/a4/a4.htm

:)

MM

all very, very valid points. One other thing to watch for is your levels. You might feel that you have this compressor, so you might as well make your kick pound, cuz you can! But you'll start to notice that the rest just doesnt sound loud enough now, so youll run your bass through it as well, then your hats then everything else. Sooner or later, you run everything through the compressor, which kinda defeats the purpose of it.

long story short, use it only when you need to, not because you heard you should :)

Back