Is my song Too Short?!

Totmacher

So, I am composing this wicked song. And it's only 3 minuits long. It's very full adn smmoth and the transitions are great... I don't want to ruin it by adding to much and I feel if I lengthen it, It will have an adverse effect. Is three miniuts too short? Any things that I can check to make sure it is indeed a complete song?

Generally if it's a trance track, it should be long, manly cause trance is dance music and ppl like dancing for awhile. And I agree, I like it when trance is long. But other then that, it shouldn't matter how long you want the track to be. Post it and we can have a listen to it. I don't think 3 mins is a bad thing. There usally is no limit to what music should sound like. Expect trance, I really like those tracks to be a minimum of 5 mins, but thats just me.

thnx for the inpiut, but there sno way im postin> it's not CW and theres no way im gonna be an idiot and put some un Copy wrighted work out. Thnx though.

Totmacher said:
thnx for the inpiut, but there sno way im postin> it's not CW and theres no way im gonna be an idiot and put some un Copy wrighted work out. Thnx though.

sorry, but if you don't know what it takes for a song to be finished, you don't have to worry about anyone stealing it.

well. 1, it's not trance. and two, apparently neither one of you have actuallu read any of the copyright threads..

well... song length just depends on the track. "Good Vibrations" is 3:35 and contains more musical ideas & genius than most people can fit on an album.

There are other tracks where listening to 30 seconds is too much time spent on it. It all depends on your track.

Seriously, why not put a link up? Everyone seems so paranoid about getting their music ripped off and 95% of the producers here are so talentless they couldn't give it away.

I'm sure your creation would be safe if you posted it up for a few days... unless it's a hip hop tune - there's no beat too wack to jack.

:)

MM

Totmacher said:
So, I am composing this wicked song. And it's only 3 minuits long. It's very full adn smmoth and the transitions are great... I don't want to ruin it by adding to much and I feel if I lengthen it, It will have an adverse effect. Is three miniuts too short? Any things that I can check to make sure it is indeed a complete song?

Ever hear of the Minutemen? Classic punk band from the 80's, most songs clocked in at about one minute long.

My only real effort at writing a punk song, clocks in at 69 seconds long.

If you think the song is "complete", then I'd say it's probably done. If you think it might need some more to it, listen to it for a while, and see if you can come up with some more variations. One trick I used in a recent song, where the verses were extrememly short, was to have three bridge/solo sections to break up the verses a little more.

Try variations on the melody, add a harmony line, try a key change, switch to a compatible relative key (e.g. if in C major, switch to A minor for a bridge), cut the drums ot half time and give the bass a solo (ack! not a bass solo!).

If it was meant to be longer, you'll figure out what it's "missing".

I wouldn't worry about the time length unless;

- Your record company demands more time
- You're not happy with it

That's it and that's that...
:cheers:

yup, especially in dancehall "riddim driven" albums, you can't make them too long, in my first such collaboration, my song was like 2:50...slick and up to the point

If you're worried about what a record company would think, they are more concerned with songs beeing too long. 3:00 is probably the average length of songs you would hear on the radio. In fact, most radio edits are shorter versions of the original.

Other than that, a song is done when you've gotten your point across. Did you compose it in one of the common song forms? If so, if you've covered all sections, it's done.

P.S.
I'm with you. I don't post my music either. Even if the song can't be taken in its entirety, someone could still take the idea.

Weird...I assumed your song wasn't trance. It didn't even occur to me that it possibly could have been when you said 3 minutes long.

Anyway...yeah, it's true that depending on the genra you're going to want to achieve a certain legnth. Trance songs can be 6 to 9 or longer. R&B are like 4 to 6. Alternative is usually 3 to 4. And commercials are 30 seconds =).

You should post your song man. I've written 9861249706054167461624 songs and I'd have them all on the internet if I could. Word of mouth is strong and is pretty much X times stronger on the internet with X = the number of people with internet access.

If the song is incredible and it's not copy writed and someone just so happens to steal it and make money off of it then you know you have talent.

That just means make a new one and another and another and another except copywrite it and send it in as a demo through an agency or lawyer or manager.

I like the way *points to the post above mine* thinks. Don't worry if somebody steals your idea, like he said. If you are really that good you can just write another. Cause if you can only right one good song, you'll go nowhere.

I like that tought too.
I dont have dreams of granduer though guys> I plan on making it on what i can.... unlike some of the people in the world , I dont BS myself... U never know what song or piece will get u there. I don't want to be like every other fool that i see on this forum about how they got jacked, and they feel stupid, and then go on to get ripped on by senior memebers for it being thier own fault..... Wake up people! EVERY song counts. It doesnt matter weather i can write 10-20-50-100 songs more that are just as good or better. It is MY song and I put a lot of Effort, Heart, time, and feeling into each one. I don't feel like seeing someone Take that and use it it to thier benifit other than pure entertainment. And i dont care how slim the chances are. It's more than money people. It's about MY WORK. MY LIFE. MY PASSION for what i do. i don't want to see someone else tear all of that out of the song and slap thier name on it. Get it?! I think much of the perspective on production has been lost to the illusion of money. Sad, but true.

Last edited:
What kinda of music to you produce Totmacher? Because I think genre has a big part in this.

Though I could be wrong... but I don think I am.

Back