My Pad is loud and drowns out everything when cut off is full going through a low pas

N

Nervouspace

Hey all, I am getting ready to finish a song I am super proud of. The only problem is I have a build up part with the pad. I made it in Sytrus

Osc 1 = Saw - 0.10 Hz offset Oct: 2

Osc 2= Saw with 25 % Square 0.10 Hz offset Oct: 1

Both going through a low pass with X3 filter Env: 25% Cut off about halfway automated to rise and sink until reaching full. Resonance all the way down

It sounds beautiful when the cut off is at halfway and it sounds good coming up but around the 75 % mark it drowns everything out and its there is alot of higher scratchy trebley sounding frequencies

So I dropped some of the higher frequenices and as the cut off went up I automated the volume slider to go down...It sounds a little better.

Maybe I eq'd it wierd on the synth itself I dropped alot of the low and the mid because I wanted to make an airy sounding pad. I dropped frequencies around the 700-800hz area with the low shelf and the lowshelf/peaking/high shelf on sytrus ( I'm not quite sure why that filter is all three) and left the high shelf alone around 5000hz

Thank you for your help

-John

Last edited:
sometimes its cool to have a little silence right before a drop. when it gets to 75% just cut off all the sounds till it drops again

I know this was ages ago but when low-passing you've got to be careful where you're low-passing, and what the slope is like.

The sharper the q the more resonance there is, and if it cuts at a certain spot (differs depending on the sound, eq boosting and the notes played etc) the resonance can become overpowering. In a situation like this lessening the severity of the hi-cut would actually make the pad less prominent.

Back