Mixing tips for a n00b

Noizemaker

Finally getting to the mixing phase of my first track. As a complete mixing noob, I know I'm gonna have a lot on my plate, but lets get on with it anyway.

pan
set levels
consider eq
set levels again
add fx
set levels again
consider eq on the fx
set levels again

compression is used to tame loud sources, not make soft sources louder, that is what gain amplification is for (move the fader up, adjust the gain trim at the top of the channel if your mixer has it).

eq should be subtle unless you are trying to drastically alter the source, in which case you might consider adding filters to the source before going down the eq path.

Master buss limiters and compressors are better left to the mastering phase.

a lot of plugins have A's and B's - always A/B every change - ill elaborate a bit on setting volumes - What goes in should be what goes out - if u start at -18 db for a particular sound each time u do anything (add an effect, adjust an effect), check that the volume is still -18 db. You will need to use the gain control in the plugin to achieve this (if it doesnt have one u might need to use a second one) - it also allows u to easily turn the effect off for referencing - which would be very difficult if you ended up with different volumes.

Ummmmm reference a track that you would like ur track to sound like - and do it often - dont mix for too long and at any point u start feeling agitated take some time off listening to calm ambient sounds before u continue.

What is a good compressor to use? I have Fl Studio, not sure if that comes with a decent one or not...

And I've heard of ths thing called sidechaining... what is that?

As long as you don't hear how exactly is the compressor changing the sound, stock comp is more than sufficent.

Sidechain is simply using the signal from another track as the input for the compressor (instead of a track signal the compressor is put on), for example kick track which then triggers the comp on bass channel, resulting in a "pumping" sound. Pretty common in most EDM music.

Back