Minimal tracks, how to use Delay, Reverb, etc? Vocal chop effects?

MilDlrDime

Chrap-a-holic

@3:00 The synth, I'm wondering what they did with this delay and reverb, it seems like it's a delay of another synth but heavily on the low end and the main synth is just playing on top of it with reverb?

And with

@1:35 The synth sounds how they use the delay to make the sound really thick and big, and I think it's more on the left side and echos to the right? I also noticed tracks with huge 808s everything is kind of shifted to the left and other random things pop to the right, any reason for this?

@2:55 when the vocals come in, how do they blend 2 vocals together so well without it clashing and sounding weird.
Also how are the vocals so exciting in all of his tracks? Does he use a vocal effect layered on some type of synth/pad to make it sound distinctive? that's what I hear and then maybe put it in a drum rack as a recording and place it.. but I'm not sure.

@0:30, @1:00 Same vocal question, how does he blend it so well? is it layered with a synth, Delay effect? lots of reverb? why is it so exciting but repeating?

@0:30 seconds, again vocal questions.
(only asking multiple times because I wanted to know how each one was layered/made)

@1:30 how would I make my snare so thick and loud with reverb? Would I just make one real wet with reverb and layer it with another one with not as much reverb or none?

With track like these with big 808's and slow leading beats should they be drenched in reverb and the sounds take up a large amount of frequencies so the track sounds fuller? So a lot of EQ boosting to make sounds really full frequency wise and thick stereo widening or .. any other ideas? Also should I reverb the 808s or kicks at all?

Last edited:
1st one:
I would guess they've played with the reverb delaytime (how long it takes for the reverb to start), which could make this ducking effect whenever the main synth plays.
Or they could've created a parallel channel for the reverb, and then sidechained the dry channel to the reverb channel creating an actual sidechain compression ducking on the reverb.
A very cool effect.

2nd one:
Not sure what you ment there, but they've probably left the dry sound centered and used a delay that is panned somewhere 75-100 % right.
The 2 vocal samples (from The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreamin') are panned to each side, and they use different EQ. The left one contain slightly more info in the 3 kHz region while the other one is softer in that region, the left one is also more highpassed. Not too hard to distinguish the 2.
It could be the effect of EQ'ing, or simply the fact that one sample is naturally softer than the other due to present singing technique and words etc.

3rd one:
I can't think of more than possibly light saturation, EQ and compression.

5th one:
It has a very snappy transient, look up transient designers or other techniques to enhance transients (like heavy compression with slow release time and attack time).
While compressing, using shorter releasetimes can sometimes make it fatter (or hyped). Then of course the right EQ can enhance it.
I don't think there's more than one layer and a very well made reverbsound, imo.

Back