Matching to Closest Scale

JC Biffro

Yo yo,

Just a quick one please - I was wondering whether there were any tools out there I could use that can determine how ''close'' I am to a scale?

For example, I have a really cool Piano melody going that I ''freestyled'' which has the following notes (those in bold played the most):

A
A#
C
D

E
F#
G

I'm looking for something that would say like, ok, you've matched 5 of the 6 notes of X scale or whatever. I really like the way it sounds, but it's hard to build around this without knowing the exact scale I'm working with.

I've tried Melodyne, but had unfavourable results. It's ''best guess'' was D Minor, yet C was my root note and played pretty much throughout, and a number of other notes were incorrect.

I don't want this to come across as being lazy and not wanting to learn the scales. I find my creativity flows better when I just play on my keyboard, without having to focus on ensuring I stick to a set scale. When it actually comes to shifting what i've played into a scale, this is where I'm falling over!

Much appreciated!!

Last edited:
Yo yo,

Just a quick one please - I was wondering whether there were any tools out there I could use that can determine how ''close'' I am to a scale?

For example, I have a really cool Piano melody going that I ''freestyled'' which has the following notes (those in bold played the most):

A
A#
C
D

E
F#
G

that A# is actually Bb

now given that I can tell you the following is true

G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F#-G which is the melodic minor of G

That you claim C is your root only goes to make this the Lydian dominant- C-D-E-F#-G-A-Bb-C - you can build the dominant 7th based on your root, but still have F# in your scale form, which is the hallmark of the Lydian mode

that A# is actually Bb

now given that I can tell you the following is true

G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F#-G which is the melodic minor of G

That you claim C is your root only goes to make this the Lydian dominant- C-D-E-F#-G-A-Bb-C - you can build the dominant 7th based on your root, but still have F# in your scale form, which is the hallmark of the Lydian mode

You never fail to surprise me BC, truly an inspiration. You are spot on about the scale (well, that's what this app is telling me anyway) - one day I hope I'll not need to use it. :)

Is there a theory term that best describes the practice of using a different note as your tonic? (i.e. using the C instead of the G as per the above). Something for me to research. :cool:

Modal the Lydian dominant is the 4th mode of the ascending melodic minor, i.e it is the mode starting on the 4th note of the scale.

Back