Mastering on PC

Jakal

Just quick question on this subject again.

Can someone please give me a range in which you are looking to have your db at when you have finished mastering a track in wavelab I have read that - 0.5 db is enough room to leave between 0.0. Or can someone please enlighten me on this as I have also read that between -19 & -16 on the clip is where you want to be at.

Would really appreciate someone who has mastered a track on a PC to answer this one boys.

i assume that if you are mastering yourself that you wont be sending it to a pro mastering house, in which case you wouldnt want to over compress/smash your levels. However, if you just want it real loud to show off to your buddys then anything under 0db should work... i usually go -0.2db if i want to do that :)

-tim

Hello

Digitally the levels should always be under 0 to avoid digital distortion.

I use the limiter to keep it totally steady, then I raise it to -0.1 when I want to get a rough mastering.

When it gets serious then I might make the level goes to a flat 0.

Your peak levels shouldn't go up to 0dB if you're going to CD - some cheap cd players can't reproduce the levels very well.

Also, loudness is not the point - it should sound as good as possible. For loudness we have volume knobs.

Try T-racks 24, it works for me. Presets are good and it works like the hardware.

Originally posted by scumble
Your peak levels shouldn't go up to 0dB if you're going to CD - some cheap cd players can't reproduce the levels very well.

I dont think that is an issue about listening back on a "cheap" CD player.

You would still want to achieve maximum sound/quality, and have in your mind how this would sound on a higher end system.

Overall, it is extrememly safe to goto 0, so why not do it?

Just to echo what everybody else is saying, -0.2db seems to be the 'professional' norm for digital mastering, for obvious reasons.

T-Racks, for me, lacks TOTAL control - I much prefer to use the Waves plug-in's, far better, cleaner, kept in phase, transparent sound.

Devilish Publishing, my company offer a Digital Mastering if ur interested in getting a clean, balanced and dynamic 'pro' sound, just in case ur interested?

I go to -.2 or-.3 and that seems to be fine, and does not seem to be any different or quiter than going the whole way to 0. So I say better safe than sorry. You dont want the listeners CD clipping out on every kick in your track.

If you have $$$, get Waves L2 Ultramaximiser. It is the sh1t. Monkeys could master with it.

I dont use em but I think all the T-racks are cool, but they cant really touch the Waves stuff from what Ive heard in my experience so far. The Waves plugs sound warmer and T-racks sounds sterile and metallic. I mean, as much as they CAN vary....

And I will run your tracks through L2 for ten percent of what Devilish Publishing wants....

Haha. Just fukkin witcha....

Peace.

Around 0 is good but don't go over. I know a guy that is suppose to master, he told me that he keeps tracks at -.2db. I think you want to get the rms power up more on the track rather than the peak. Alot of people get the two confused or just don't know about the rms value.

Back