Mastering on PC

Jakal

Hey ppl.

I have recently started to learn how to master a track on my PC things are going well but I feel that I may be missing a vst or something.

Here are the ones I use in wavelab:
TL Audio EQ
Antares Filter
BBB Maximizer
Wavez gold bundle
+ others (at work connot remember few others)

I have also heard good things about pro tools used with Reason 2.5 if there are any fellow Reason users out there what are your views on this?

the waves gold bundle is plenty
reason 2.5 and protools for mastering? i dont get it. mastering is done on the 2 channel (L+R) final mix meaning anything in reason would have been bounced out

if you referenc for composition - its a nice combo yeh

Try using Waves C4, Q10 and L1 (respectively, as I prefer this signal chain) in Wavelab, that should be all you need to get nice sounding masters. I used those until I got the newer Masters Bundle with the upgraded versions of those plugins.. really great, my masters sound almost pro now (at least easily good enough), with just minor tweaks to presets. Start with the mastering presets and tweak them a little to get a good sound. Use the C4 to balance different frequency bands, compressing bass frequencies harder than the highs, then use the Q10 for small EQ tweaks (be careful not to over-eq your mix) and finally use the L1 to bring the levels up. The keyword, however, is: experiment! :)

And you don't need Reason or Protools for mastering, Wavelab is much better for that.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Was pseaking of pro tools just because a few people have mentioned that it is part of their virtual studio with Reason never asked them what they use it for co's ain't a member of the forum (and did not want to join to be honest).

Also I have taken 2 loops into wavelab yeah and I tweaked i up to the point where if I tweaked it up anymore the db in each master channel would go over 0.0. But I still had a great sound pretty dam close to vinyl (playng on my deck)

I have not read into Wavelab yet I am just experimenting with the mastering tools as that is all I am really using wavelab for is to master. Basically my question is this are you looking to go over 0.0 db to say -19, -20 or are you looking to keep the db at 0.0?

Last edited:
If you go over 0.0db the sound will distort. So don't. Try using a limiter/loudness maximizer (like the Waves L1 or L2) and se the out ceiling/max levels to something like -0.2db. I've heard some CD players or something distort the signal even if you use 0.0db, but could anyone explain this better?

PSP Vintage Warmer works wonders on a variety of applications. It comes with many presets such as "Mastering first aid". This plugin makes a world of difference making tracks louder clearer and warmer. Well worth the money.

If you do a reasonably good job of mixing before you master, I think the Waves plugs can take care of pretty much anything. They only do good things to my beats.

Ive had the T-racks stuff recommended to me. The limiter is nice I guess.

Peace.

Back