Making a theme/mood when producing

R

rurokenji

Hi guys,

I have always wondered about this for a while. How do producers manage to create like themes or moods in their songs (e.g. dark)? I understand the use of minor and major scales play a part but that can't just be it, right? Do they use instruments which will give it a dark sound or something? I am a bit lost. Any tips, guys?

Much appreciated

Thanks

Watch movies and pay attention to the music. I love doing this and through it you can learn soo much more about mood and melodys.

One example thats easy to explain is the Halloween theme song. Its amazing how much of a mood you can convey in 2 or 3 notes! Idk what makes it scary, but the way the rythmic patten is played repeatedly like it doesn't end (no resolution) and in the high scale for high suspense and more a serious tone. Idk its all music theory and I never took formal classes but this is what I think :)

So yea just watch a bunch of movies and really tear apart the music piece by piece. Ask questions like why are they using these instruments, and how are these instruments effecting the mood? Or why is the music fast paced or slow paced, and stuff like that.
Most importantly have fun! Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Back