making my sound quality warmer

046oh

i feel that all the sounds i make with synth 1 are too thin and hard on the ears.
it sounds too sharp and i want to make it warmer, thicker, more like wood.

how can i make a synthesized sound warmer / less artificial?

You could try these things:
- If you're already using a unison effect you can play with the phase and the detune, if you have unison consisting of maybe 5 or 6 voices, increasing the number of unison voices can soften the sound.
- A chorus effect can soften a sound and also make it sound a little warmer, but be careful as it may also push your sound back in the mix.
- The right combination of oscillators can make a synth sound more full. The same with adding another synthlayer maybe at an octave lower and make it very soft to create a fundation for the already existing synth to create a full and fat sound.
- Adding saturation and a hint of pink noise or EQ'd white noise (cut with a highshelf) can emulate an old analog synthesizer a bit.

Also, if you think your synth sound too artificial or computerized, maybe try playing with velocities, timing, notelengths etc.
The best way would be playing it on a MIDI-controller and not quantizing it that much. All those small mistakes made can make it sound more human.

Also you can program your synth to respond differently on for example velocity to create more variation on for example the cutoff and/or cutoff envelope.
A lot of artists or groups who are pretty much synthesizer veterans do this, like Jon Hopkins or GusGus.

lower the cutoff freq of your filter marginally - it will take the edge off the high end

use some creative eq to boost other areas or cut if you prefer - don't be OTT with this subtle is better than none is better than OTT

Last edited:
There are many tools and tricks to help make your sounds brighter. I'll list some plugins below than can be used to get a thicker, warmer sound.

~Reverb~ self explanatory. Making your sound less sharp, and raw.

~Mono/Stereo width plugins~ simply changing the stereo width of your sound can instantly make it (quite literally) more thicker. Look up M-ST stereo plugin. Its free. If you don't know the difference between mono and stereo def need to research that.

~Exciters~ Exciters are used to boost (or rather excite) very high frequencies in a sound making them sound brighter. There is sort of a secret sauce a lot of welly developed artist use. Use sparingly though. There are lots of free exciter plugins out there just google search

~white noise~ white noise is sorta that secret mold every major edm artist uses to date. It's like a filler. And I myself don't like to use it too much, just because I like my sounds sounding more 'natural' idk hard to explain. But yea if you can add a little white nice to your lead either inside the synth itself, or using white noise generator and just layering a white noise over the notes of your lead, can work wonders. Make it subtle though.

~Distortion~ Distortion essentially amplify's your sound and then tone the color of the sound. Depending on which plugin you're using (there are soo many dist. plugins out there its unbelievable). Distortion is your best friend. Learn to use it wisely.

~unison~ Find this knob or parameter in your synthesizer and change how many voices there are. Common sense. Plain simple.

~Chorus/flanger~ essentially the same, learn to you chorus. Like the stefeh said.

~experimenting~ Not a vst. Just keep adjusting the sound and playing with it as much as possible and you'll get your desired effect.

Cheers mate. Happy music making ;)

Back