Making Melodies? Books??

Ore

hey fp what up?
i am havin trouble with my melodies (like a lot of peeps have), and i was wondering if you guys knew any books i can read to learn more about making crazy melodies "like what would you guys recomend", and if i can get them at guitar center? i know the basics like scales, and some cords, and i'm making hiphop if that helps....

-anyways thanks
-laters

I think, more than anything, your best bet is out-and-out practice, and dissecting the melodies of others' tracks.

When I first started making electronic music about two years ago, I was clueless as to how to make good melodies, and seached for resources on learning it.

I had a lot of success of downloading MIDI files people had put together of tunes I liked (Try www.musicrobot.com), and seeing how their melodies looked "on paper".

Aside from that, the more you work on making your own melodies, the better a feel you'll get for recreating the ideas you have in our head. After long enough, you'll hear a tune, and you'll know immediately the timing of the notes involved.

A lot of what goes in to making melodies is pattern recognition -- something that no amount of readng will teach you.

cool thanks for the advice, i check out the link to borders, and nothing seemed like it would help me all that much, but i'll look more when i get a chance.....

thanks for the advice , i am trying to keep my own style (don't get me wrong) but i guess what i ment was ideas...it seems i'm makin my melodies very similar.. and so i want to change that, anyways i went the www.musicrobot.com but it didn't let me in for some reason...you guys know any other sites like that, i did a seach and only found those cheesy phone ring tone midi sites...thanks anyways
-Ore

One thing that does help me, at least, is just pick up an instrument that you can play and start jamming in the key of your song. You'll find something good. I play guitar, and the problem with that is the fact that it is hard to convert tabs to notes for a piano roll.

what helps me w/ making a melody is whistle or humming sumthin that sounds good to the beat. alot of times ur words can make a melody look at the song P.I.M.P

Back