Mainstream tracks so easy?

Believe whatever crap you want about me. You're just giving me a good laugh, getting heated up over a simple conversation on the Internet that in the grand scheme of things, means less than nothing.

"It is just plain rediculous to say that the quality of music or the commercial viability of music or how underground music is, is a direct result of it's simplicity or its lyrics being thought provoking."

No, I'm saying it's the other way around. God, learn some comprehension.

"Anybody who thinks ... blah blah blah ... facets that it is."

*snort* Oh my God, you don't know a damn thing about me.

Given your (frankly, worthless) opinions on this matter, I'm curious as to why you think bands like Dream Theater don't get commercial success.

And by the way, you seem to have the term naive confused with something else. "Cynical" is the one you want. :)

uNDefineD said:
Believe whatever crap you want about me. You're just giving me a good laugh, getting heated up over a simple conversation on the Internet that in the grand scheme of things, means less than nothing.

...and you can believe whatever you want about me. I am not getting heated up about anything.

uNDefineD said:
"It is just plain rediculous to say that the quality of music or the commercial viability of music or how underground music is, is a direct result of it's simplicity or its lyrics being thought provoking."

No, I'm saying it's the other way around. God, learn some comprehension.

Let me translate what I wrote since you seem to be having some trouble with comprehension...

There is very simple music with meaningless lyrics that is poppy and commercial and makes a lot of money... AND... there is very simple music with meaningless lyrics that is noncommercial and does not make any money. There are also other variations, like; very simple music with meaningless lyrics that is poppy in style but nobody likes it and it makes no money.

Just because a piece of music is very simple with meaningless lyrics is not a determining factor as to whether it will be a commercial and financial success. (meaning: simple music does not necessarily equal successful popular moneymaking music)

YOU said (and this is a direct quote) "if you produce simplistic music, you've instantly gained a large audience with money ready to spend"

I say, if you produce simplistic music, it does not mean you will instantly gain a large audience and you will not necessarily make lots of money... Producing simplistic music will not instantly give you a large audience and lots of money.

Why don't you tell me what I didn't comprehend... and you are the one who started throwing the word "naive" around... tell me what is naive about what I said... tell me how it is "naive" to say that making simplistic music does not guarantee commercial success.

uNDefineD said:
"Anybody who thinks ... blah blah blah ... facets that it is."

*snort* Oh my God, you don't know a damn thing about me.

I never said I knew anything about you. All I know about you is that you said "if you produce simplistic music, you've instantly gained a large audience with money ready to spend"

...I don't need to know anything about you other than the fact that you made that quote... that is the only thing I was commenting on.

uNDefineD said:
Given your (frankly, worthless) opinions on this matter, I'm curious as to why you think bands like Dream Theater don't get commercial success.

First of all, you did NOT say "artists who make complex progressive music will have trouble breaking into the mainstream"... you said the CONVERSE of that (I'll quote it again) "if you produce simplistic music, you've instantly gained a large audience with money ready to spend"

Now if you want to talk about Dream Theater in particular, I'll be glad to do that... John Petrucci (Dream Theater's guitarist) is my old guitar teacher, by the way...

There are many reasons why they do not have the popularity of a "flavor of the month on the radio or MTV" artist. This should not even need explaining, but, different artists make music intended for different audiences. It is not necessarily because of the complexity of their music that they have any particular size fanbase. any metal band, whether it be progressive, thrash or simple will not have a huge fanbase because the general genre and the time period we are in.

Dream Theater is very popular for their genre... in fact, I would say that they have exceeded the expected success for a genre where they are not trying to reach the mainstream.

Different genres have different audiences and the artist writes for that audience.

There are many more factors to attribute to an artist's "success" beyond the "simplicity" or "complexity" of their music.

And "success" is relative... a progressive metal band is not trying to reach a mainstream audience like a "pop" artist is.

Why don't you back up your original statement by telling me why there are artists who make "simplistic music" who have not "instantly gained a large audience with money ready to spend."?

uNDefineD said:
And by the way, you seem to have the term naive confused with something else. "Cynical" is the one you want. :)

No... I meant naive. :)

ok you two chill out. cameron, i dont want to criticize, i want to listen and see what others in my position are able to come up with.

also, everyone is at soundclick, but i cant figure out to listen, if you can, attach two or three of your favs and email to chipsnaces@yahoo.com

oh yeah, email the little john man, ive got no chip and i have to hear it -- chips

simple music is easier to have mass appeal, as i've stated before, but it is not the only contributing factor to making a song/artist mainstream.

there's a lot of other factors, so i have to agree with not being able to make the mainstream by only producing simple music.

if you hate it or love it, there's no denying the fact that MTV plays a huge part in what is considered to be the mainstream and what is considered to be the underground. Aside from MTV, ClearChannel and Infinity own a load of radio stations across the US and they also play a huge part in determining what is mainstream and underground.

To get played on the radio and MTV, your record label has to pay a good sum of money for your song to be rotated into its line up and to be heard.

This is a huge reason why you keep watching the same videos and hearing the same songs over and over.

Their hope is that by being exposed to it repeatedly, you'll like it or at least begin to like it and then that song will become mainstream.

so the biggest determining fact in becoming mainstream is actually money, which plays a bigger factor than simplicity. And these are only two factors out of many. Neither of which is neccesarily the only factors which determine mainstream acts and songs.

Obviously...

If composing mainstream tracks were so easy, all of us would be famous.

The hability is not on the composition structure, but your marketing intuition, and emphatetic skills.

Besides, mainstream songs require to fulfill certain requirements, to fit into the media.

Buddha said:
Artists that do mainstream music are not necessarily talentless.

I agree, there are many talented mainstream artists....mariah carey for instance....very talented songwriter, singer AND producer.

Ok lets sum this up. This post was about me composing mainstream sounding tracks and how it was easier for me. The statements about if it were so easy everyone would be doing it is quite frankly garbage. I have never taken the easy route to anything. Maybe I should but I like challenge. I thrive on it. Examples would be. Mainstream sounding tracks seem to come to me more naturally yet the majority of my work has a gritty underground feel to it. There is more money in mainstream music and I do like money but instead I want to try to make just as much with an underground sound. Now I would not go as far to say that there are no mainstream artists with talent. That would be really closed minded. I will say though that I can turn on the radio and listen for a good hour and not hear an artist who has even half the talent as some of the unknowns you'll find in my cd player. The industry is a terrible f*cked up place right now where people like Ashley Simpson sell more records than Talib Kweli. The industry is predominantly marketed towards teen and twenties girls. Now I am pretty sure the industry is going to go through some big changes in the next 10 years and I believe they will be for the better. 1st off with mp3s available I believe artists will slowly make less and less money from album sales. You may think this is a bad thing but I completely embrace this. Artists are already making the bulk of their money from tours. Soon enough nearly all of their money will be made through shows. This way they will have to step up their game and the studio artists who can't sing or rap for sh*t can be exposed live and on stage. I would love to see the industry head this way and I'm expecting it to.

I pay too much for my ****hole and i got a ****in bum who sleeps bout 20 feet from my door when i leave my crib i gotta step over the **** and piss the cocksucker leaves i gotta kick the mah****a every now and then to make sure he ain't froze to death cause its cold as **** in the paki dot, yo mainstream ain't made for producers its made for customers of mass appeal and the mass is a heard of sheep following whoevers in the light, kinda like Jesus (a.k.a. Lucifer), Wu fell off the more they went mainstream cause they cleaned up there beats 36 chambers was so dirty and sounded like it was made with whack equipment but it is without a doubt in the top 5 of alltime greatest hiphop albums ever (definately their best). I personally like to take the approach of judging the end result whether its a lil john production line type of beat or a MF Doom leap of faith " if it sounds good turn it up" no point in picking sides, do what u want, mainstream will always be "mainstream", and underground will always be "underground."

Yeah I'm not against mainstream music I'll catch a decent track here or there. Maybe 1 or 2 mainstream tracks a year will appeal to me. I'm a critical person when it comes to music on both ends of the spectrum. I'll be quick to criticize an underground track as well. For example. I haven't heard too much of MF Doom but his collabo with Talib Kweli on right about now sounded real weak to me. All in all I listen to everything and I will give anything a chance. I just tend to find more talent within the realms of underground hip hop.

Anyone who thinks that Good Charolotte is more talented then Edguy should be shot.

this is what sucks..

most thes cats on the radio got their equipment the "nigger" way:

(and i mean nigger in a bad way..)

They either Stole the equipment form someone else,

Slew Crack, Weed, Speed, Meth, Coke, Ecstasy, or all of the above to get the money to buy studio time, or studio equipment,

They knew someone that most likely acquired a studio in the above manner,

OR had a rich ass mommy or daddy.

Point being; Im sick and tired of working my ass off to buy the same **** i should be able to get the same way those cats did:

BY NOT WORKING.

who gotta studio i can steal their equipment from?

wheres the dope dealers at?

why cant my folks be rich?

how come i didn't inherit a large sum of money from a dead relative?

Answer;

Because I am an honest good hearted person who is forced to work every damn day JUST TO PAY THE DAMN RENT..

if only i had the chance to get in front of the right equipment.. id be number one in the scene and putting out high quality REAL music.

oh yeah BTW, imma junglist.

there's 2 types of black men:

1) the "nigga" who is either you friend, homie, acquaintance, co-worker etc. someone who you're cool with..

2) the "nigger" who is the type of low-life person that is always looking for the next "come-up" off of someone else's sh!t.. they are dishonest, disloyal, cold-hearted, ruthless, and just downright a bad person.

so when i say nigger, im not a racist person, im just emphasizing the facts..

*white poeple can be a "nigger" too..
same goes for every other non-African person on the planet.. it just depends on if you;

work hard in life and strive to be your best..

OR

always screw off and CHEAT your way thru life..

which bring me to my point..

YOUNG JEEZY CHEATED HIS WAY TO WHERE HES AT NOW.. by slangin he got the money for necessary studio time and equipment, which leads me to this fact;
most the cats in the biz are former criminals and cheated their way to the top.. which is why so many people try to show off what they have on TV from their bling to their rings, houses and cars, because they came from **** and never had nothing, becasue they chose not to work, or run with a gang and break man-made laws set forth to control them, they strive to show off to the white man or any other man, HAHA I GOT MONEY ******* and you're all WORKING!!! .. mayn WHEN i get to where i wanna be, imma invest that shyt.

sorry for that long post.. this is useful information to live by.

Its not as easy as u make it out...to "not cheat" and get a job. If it was that easy, surely u'd have a great job and a lot of money.

Round my way, its hard for "niggers" to get jobs no matter whether they want one or not. And shottin drugs isnt cheating. its bending the rules

and stop using the word "nigger"

thats some useful information to live by.

^^^^don't knock the hustle

OLD THREAD ALERT!

remember, the average person wants a beat they can hum. stop trying to sound like Mozart on hip-hop.

Slangin' drugs is easy but only for the ignorant. The ignorant do not care nor even recognize the risks they are taking or who they are hurting. Slangin' drugs would not be easy for someone like myself because I recognize that I could go away for that sh*t. I also recognize I'm contributing to the destruction of peoples lives. I don't respect those that got ahead by slangin'. To me those people are just lucky they never got caught. They could just as easily be behind bars getting butt f*cked by big bubba. I'm sorry but that alone is enough for me not to get involved in that sh*t. I just think it's sad that people actually respect these people who got where they are because of drugs or shady dealings.

Back