Key and Pitching Samples

mixd_1

How do vocalists sing in key? Is it just there pitch as in higher or lower rather they can hit the pitch of the note/key or not?

Samples:
I know a good mix of samples in a song between a bad batch, as the vocal sounds out of place just as some samples do(signs of a beginner and unexperienced producer). So what is the deal? Should I be worried keeping everything in "key"?? As I am a beginner also and would like to avoid the mistake i've heard so many do. So lets say a song is written in Am, is that just a set value of notes as in a scale? Correct me if im wrong, i've currently picked up the piano and have been playing for about 2 months now. I just need a little informative information on other things like vocals and samples as my teacher dosent really explain things to me.

Also is pitching percussion like kicks,snares etc... does the pitch relate to the key of the song? I know that you can also eq the key to the frequency, but thats more of a mixdown thing.

All help is appreciated in advanced!! Glad to say this is my first question/forum in the Future Producer forums. :-) happy to join y'all.

Last edited:
Some singer can really hit the pitch of an exact note, but not everyone. in a lot of songs, antares autotune (very expensive) is used. this is a vst effect which make the vocal sound in key.
(e.g. if you're singing between a B and a C, autotune can correct that, so it is an exact note.

if a song is written in Am, the best sounding notes will be: a, b, c, d, e, f, g. (all the white notes). This does NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT mean you can't use the other notes. par example, using 'wrong notes' can make a song more interesting.

Of course, kicks and snares have a pitch too. but, in 9/10 cases, you will not hear that a snare is desonant (not in key). In fact, pitch-shifting snares and kicks can decrease the energy of it a lot.
By the way, the longer the kick, the more you'll hear the note. This is why a lot of hardstyle producers let their kicks play in the same pitch as the melody.

Eqing to a frequency (let's say from a A to a B) is actually not possible, because you will only mute/boost the harmony of a sample. Try it out by holding a tuner next to your speaker and try some eq'ing. But you CAN change the pitch by simply shifting it (in fl studio, simply open the midi roll. Every note higher than c5 is higher than your sample.)

By the way, youtube can learn you a lot of things, search for 'pitch-shifting samples in [your daw]'

glad to help you
-sumano

So my theory wasnt that off, good to know! Thanks for the great post! Also your saying 9/10 times one will find a snare,kick that just fits good with the song rather than pitching it right?? I will be looking pitch shifting up now. Also this is what I was talking about regarding the tuning frequency eq. How can I change the pitch shift in midi on ableton, I was always wondering how I can change the frequency,key of my kicks in there.

Back