keeping that resonant frequency

5am

Theres a Pitched kick im trying to use in a song and it works well at one frequency, but when it is places at another frequency, it quickly loses all its power. Is there any way around this problem?

so you're speeding and slowing down the kick? well usually if you speed it up it hits harder but isn't as deep. if you make it go lower it gets a hollow sound but doesn't hit as hard.

if you're speeding it up, EQ the low end up to make it deeper. if you're slowing it down, compress it and give it high attack.

the fact is, it just sounds weird when you do stuff like that to kicks.

Eq wont work, the length alters therefore making it really short as well as weak. If you time strech it, it brings out some frequencies which aren't good to hear.

It's just one of the few things ive really looked at deeper. I was wondering if there had been anything created to enable sounds to be reconstructed when you change the pitch to help keep the character.

I tried using Melodynes pitch system instead of the built in Cubase SX one i had originally used. I managed to get a more punchier sound but it was still lacking the length.

if the problem is the kick speeding up or slowing down, time stretch is key.

to keep a resonant frequency...or still keep it prominent, eq down where the frequency has shifted to when pitched up or down and add a bit to the frequencies it was at before

-Lodger

Is the Kick a sample or from a drum machine?

You can try a few things imo...

If it's mapped on a keyboard and being run through a low pass filter make sure that you've got key follow engaged on the filter (hopefully it has one) Then the filter will react differently depending on the pitch of the key that is hit, moving the cuttoff and resonance accordingly.

Otherwise you might have to create a separate track for your 2nd kick and give it its own eq setting that boosts at that particular frequency...

That's what I'd try anyway, never done what you're trying to do though. Usually i try to knock out those overly resonant bass frequencies as they tend to wreak havoc on my mixes. (I'm talking sub-bass here).

Not sure if I understand your question, but what your describing is happenings is exactly what is supposed to happen. There's no way a kick drum at two different frequencies would have the same "power". There are two factors you need to consider:

1. different frequencies have different "power" so if you put a kick at 60hz its going to have a lot of bass and sound boomy, but if you put it at 130hz it will sound punchier

2. most rooms have certain resonant frequencies (when the length of the sound wave or a multiple of the sound wave exactly matches the length of your room) when a note is played at this frequency, it will sound louder than it really is, because the sound is being amplified or attenuated by your room. Try listening to your mix in headphones or on a different set of speakers in a different room to see if it sounds different.

hope this helps.

-Alden

Try layering a sample of the original kick over the pitch shifted kick, and blend them using the EQ so you get the attributes you want out of each...

This is good because it's unlikely you can replicate the original sound when the frequency has been altered. That's like saying "how can I make this 60Hz sine wave sound like an 80Hz sine wave?"

I'd assume this method is also a better alternative to boosting the EQ on the pitch shifted kick, which could potentially cause the kick to sound unnatural...

Dunno if this answers your query, but I hope it helps!

fertig: excellent post!

I totally agree with what he said. But I can also add that some samplers allow the resonance to be fixed to the key...

IE you play a higher note and the resonance will raise accordingly. However I dont think that would solve the problem, You would be better by setting filter to follow the key and leaving the reso static.

I know exactly what you're talking about. The resonance that makes your rearview mirror rattle right? If you listen to a commercial release you'll find that only one note has that (maybe a fifth has some of it). I don't know of a way to make that resonance happen on all notes, it's got to do with the fundamentals and overtones of the sound, cabinet resonance and room modes... Instead of trying to make all notes resonate maybe try using the one that DOES on the one and using the other non-resonant notes for syncopations... Good luck!

austin...

the acoustics of a car, and the related audio hardware ( for example, ported or bandpass subwoofer boxes and even most sealed ) have really bad frequency response curves.

more often than not the song is mixed well , without certain frequency boosts...it is your car and the other things i mentioned that make one certain note ( frequency ) significantly louder than the others.

If the kick is a sample of a synthesised one (like a 808) you can get quite close to constant resonance if you re-create it from scratch in an analogue synth.

Also adding a small amount of saturation or distortion can help keep the impact on higher notes, even if the sample is from an acoustic drum set.

Back