improving drum patterns

R

rurokenji

Hi guys,

i currently make my drum patterns using my qwerty keyboard keys due to not owning an drum machine. Right now, i feel like my drum patterns are just boring. I have heard taking drum lessons or watching drum video tutorials on youtube, help if you can practice it on your drum machine. However, i haven't got a drum machine to practice on. Does anyone have any tips as to how i can practice/improve my drum patterns without the use of an drum machin?

Thanks

do what i get my year 7 (12 year olds) students to do - use your thighs as places to pat your left and right hands and use your feet as a drummer would - you don't get to go through the toms (unless you choose to air drum)

then read through the basics of drumming at the PAS.org site and then go to drummersworld.com to look at other drummers and beginners videos

I recommend purchasing a drumming book that has patterns in it. A basic pattern is a 8th note or 16th note pattern. If you want to get more out of your current patterns, I recommend adding swing. Once you have a nice groove, adding sound effects also helps. You can also try panning each drum to create an image of a drumset. also check your velocity's, if everything is set to 127 then you will loose the dynamic range of the drums.

This might not help improve drum composing, but the genre I work in (techno, hard style, electro) Kicks & Snares are panned directly in the middle of the stereo field, and high-hats and percs are panned back and forth from side to side. Stereo Imaging- use a vectorscope to see if you're doing it right ;) This certainly makes your drums more breathable, alive, and way more interesting. Panning and stereo width play a huge role if you wanna make your drums wider :D

I think there is a big misconception that when you get a drum machine all of sudden ur patterns and ur drum playing becomes better yes it is alittle bit easier but I can make the same patterns and fill with my keyboard as I can with my maschine

Back