i wanna have that old kanye west vibe

Loop popular soul records.

What he said.

Plus be yourself. You won't ever sound just like kanye because your aren't kanye, and while getting as good as kanye will take you a while, the fact is by the time you know enough about what makes a beat bang like kanye's you'll have your own ideas that are entirely not like his.

Kanye's old beats were sick as hell, but too many people pitch up old soul samples trying to mimic his style and end up relying too heavily on that. I'm all for sampling soul but pitching them up a couple of octaves on every beat is a little bit stale.

yeah just use some soul songs but your own lil twist on it, its better to be recognized for how you flip a sample not how much you sound like someone else

Are we all sure that Kanye STARTED the pitch up thing? I mean I'm just sayin. . .

... but he is a monster. Lil pun intended.

... so many more ways to flip samples than just looping them...

If you want to sound like the old kanye looping and pitching is not where you need to start. You need to become familiar with soul and funk and understand these genres of music. kanye has his own way of sampling as to which you need to develop. aspiring to sound like kanye is actually a great way to become familiar with production and cater to artists who want that sound. just dont think looping a funk drum fill from the 70s is going to get you there. you need to start finding the most rarest songs between about 1968-1975 and understand them. get a begin chopping at transients mixing up the arrangement of the sample and figure out what you like. This is all natural to kanye he grew up on this type of music so he knows all the rare tunes you will have to do a little extra research and combine that with experimentation. Good Luck

^^ Well said. Another point here:

I don't know a lot about hip-hop but what I've listened to Kanye's sample-based songs, I think it's a lot about his drum programming. The beats are always of a high quality. You don't realize this until you really think this. I think the sounds are quite unique and it's hard to make similar ones, as well as the rhythms are very nice.

word, kanye is a monster on the drums and he also used very "soft"drums on his first album. a clap, snap instead a hard snare etc. this was pretty important to the laidback flavour. he brought.

You can slice up any old motown track speed the tempo up or increase the pitch a bit and then re-arrange it. After that its just a matter of adding a drum loop that suits and maybe a bit of bass. That's how I would do it anyway.

first you gotta steal your cousins samples that hes already used and only make your drums different. then you gotta have rhymefest ghost write for you. then you gotta dance like you leanin back from someone jabbin you in the face. then you gotta say "fam" after every sentence when your talking to hood dudes and talk like a faggot when your talking to talkshow hosts.

much love to kanye though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCcD9Djj5M

Back