I Have a Melody in my Head?

hi-ku

What part of music theory should I learn to translate melodies in my head to piano. I have basic knowledge of theory like notes and stuffs and stuff. Please Help!

What part of music theory should I learn to translate melodies in my head to piano. I have basic knowledge of theory like notes and stuffs and stuff. Please Help!
Well, its not really a theory problem....you just have to do it. What I do is sing the melody and try to find the corresponding notes on my instrument. A good method is to record yourself singing the melody slowly, then playing it back on your instrument. You don't need theory for this.....its how many musicians learned to play songs----BUT, taking the time to train your ears through exercises and singing will make playing what's in tour head much easier and quicker.

Do what Bandcoach said.I practiced for a few weeks and now I can already recognize very simple melodies and chord progressions.

Here is a tip which helped me a lot.If you have a smartphone,download a free piano app.While you're relaxing, watching a movie or a TV show, pay attention to the music playing in the background and try to recognize some of the intervals you hear.Then pick up your phone and play the notes to see if you got it right.This way you're enjoying a movie and practicing at the same time.

Back