I dont know where to start in fruity loops

H

hammrough

I am very frustrated with fruity loops. sorry if i sound like a noob but here is the problems im facing.
i feel very restricted, the format limits every thing to patterns (i think) and i feel like everything is very constricted.
i hate the total set up of just putting sounds in the pattern.
I feel like if you want to make a beat u have in your head its impossible. do you guys know any software that has more freedom

What do you mean limits you to patterns?

Do you mean working within bars and timing? Thats not the daw..thats just how music works.. Im not really sure of what your actual concern is here, be a little more detailed on what you want to accomplish and what you DO know already.

Im pretty sure your problem is inexperience, not the daw. I can think of one more DAW that might be good for you if you think FL is to complicated (which it REALLY, REALLY shouldn't be, its one of the simpler ones to learn) but I'm not even going to say it right now because I'm convinced that isn't your problem.

But I am curious to hear a little background about what you do know, and expand on your question a little bit.

You could also mean the sequencer when you say pattern..but FL has a piano roll just like every other daw too..

I honestly have no idea what im doing, lol. do you have any tutorials to recommend

I honestly have no idea what im doing, lol. do you have any tutorials to recommend

You're not gonna like it, but if you actually wanna do this then you will do it anyway. Because you have to. Put your DAW on the back burner for now (definitely encourage you to still tinker with it to get the feel for it, but don't worry about it you cant run it yet and blame the daw) and start learning music theory, and the basics of playing piano. Piano lays out the principals of theory for you right in front of you in order on the keys. It will also help you within the piano roll in FL studio. You can find TONS of FL studio tutorials on youtube, lots of them will even be structured and take you step by step starting from the ground up. But again, you aren't gonna be able to do anything to your satisfaction within the DAW if you don't know how to write music anyway. It would be like learning all this stuff about a car before you know how to drive. I know because I've been through all of this. Ive been studying engineering and DAW aspects for the last year, doesn't help me at all when it comes to composing music. I have a pretty good ear for it I think, and can usually trial and error my notes until they sound good, but trust me that really sucks and wastes ALOT of your time haha; and eventually you will come to a point in some project where you NEED theory to resolve your melody/progressions. Its just better to get it ASAP so its not a problem later. I only just got into music theory, there is no time to early to learn how to play an instrument or learn music theory. I still regret quitting band class when I was younger haha.

So anyways, long story short, learn music theory first then worry about learning your daw. Until then, play around with the daw, maybe apply some of the skills you learn in music theory to the instruments built into it. But don't worry about sucking at it, because you will. And you always will until you know how to actually make music. Daw tutorials won't teach you that.

Last edited:
I think the OP is referencing the sequencer.

I didn't really care for Fruity Loops layout either.
Yes he is referring to the sequencer..but thats irrelevant. But Shhhhhh, before you put the idea back in his head that its the DAWs fault lol.

Last edited:
Youtube "FL studio beginner tutorial" you will soon realise that the problem you have is not a problem at all, it's just a matter of knowledge.

Back