Humanizing Drums FL

WestCoaster

i was wondering how u guys tend to humanize your drums... i havent been able to figure out quantization, is that the way u guys usually do this? i put my notes into the step sequencer and change velocities but that still doesnt get the same feel... any help is greatly appreciated

Not only does humanizing velocities help you also need to humanize the timings. It just doesnt sound very human when a drummer is too perfect. Take off snap and try free moving the notes you drew in just slightly left or right depending the feel you are trying to get with the song...

Moving it left or rushing the beat can make the track gain some momentum and make it feel liek it drags less. Moving right makes the beat have a more laid back swing feel makin it "drag" more...

Were dealing with fractions of 16th notes or ms otherwise it wil just sound like the drums are out of time...

Of course nothing beats recording the timings live, but that can be hard for non drummer or musical background peeps sometimes i guess...

you could also use multiple samples. sometimes ill copy a hihat a few times and filter/pitchshift/eq each one. helps to add a nice variation.

Try adjusting the time envelope under the "INS" tab. I have to use this feature a lot on open hi-hats leading into a snare. This will help to humanize your drums.

Back