How to work around clips that are less than a bar in length?

jaytheineef

Hey guys, I have a question about leads and bass riffs that are less than a bar in length.

I notice that sometimes when I make a less than 1 bar kick pattern in ableton, (something around the length of a 3/4 bar), that it makes programming the rest of the drums difficult(because the snares are not in their usualy positions of 2 and 4 etc. like they usually are in a 1 bar clip)

So my question how can I get my 3/4 of a bar kick pattern to be a 1 bar clip so that's it makes the working in ableton easier?Is it just a bpm issue? (im using 128 bpm)
The 3/4 of a bar kick pattern I have sounds bad whenever I lengthen the duration of it to 1 bar. It just loops better and sounds more natural by itself in 3/4 of a bar than 1 bar.

So Am I forced to have to change all of my other clips to 3/4 of a bar just to be able to be able to work with the kick pattern?

Thanks for any help FPs:rolleyes:

Last edited:
can you give us an example both visually and audibly - I think I know the answer but I would like more information about the problem to begin with

can you give us an example both visually and audibly - I think I know the answer but I would like more information about the problem to begin with

heres the pic
Untitled.png

So instead of having a standard 1 bar loop for this kick pattern the length is 0 3 2, as can be seen in red in the screenshot, is there a way I can stretch out the clip to make it 1 bar? My problem is that I cant get the snare to fit in well in between the kicks in a 1-2 pattern kick-snare-kick-snare with the clip being 0 3 2 of a bar.

I know its a confusing but I dont know how else to explain it

Last edited:
1) it is 5/8 of a bar not 3/4

2) I still cannot tell what the pattern is so cannot answer any more than that

3) you can only upload mp3 as attachments

if you have an example beat that sounds similar to this, i could probably tell you whats going on in it and give you advice based on that. and hearing what you have would make it easier, too.

Back