How to use vocoder in Reason 4

krazyk

Money Over All
I want to make the "Computer Love" type hook on a beat im doing in Reason 4. Anybody know how to do this?

I have never done this effect but vocoder can get u there. it shouldnt be hard at all. just load the vocals and play the notes of the singer w ur synth

Read up in the help menu on the vocoder, they tell you how to wire it up, with the carrier and modulator and all that. They even got pictures with it. Hope that helps.
LevLove

What part are you confused on? There's pix on the back of the vocoder that tells you what goes where. The audio goes to the mic pic, the synth part you play goes to the keys pic. The audio has to be playin (you won't hear it, til you hit the synth keys) before anything happens with the keys you play. Were you using a dr.rex like they said in the example? Was it runnin? Normally i laugh at people who say "i read the manual and it's confusing" but in your defense, the vocoder section had me reading it slowly with my fingar on the screen like i was back in 1st grade, but i played with it til i got it. Follow the confusing vocoder help page and keep playin with it til you get it. Thats how i got it.
LevLove

Last edited:
I havnt used the vocoder ever in reason and I found this out in under a minute. Since you tried reading the manual and put some effort in I'll give ya the answer. First load the sample in whatever device you're choosing to play it in (dr.rex, nnxt etc). Now record your midi or copy to track so that the audio plays, also it's probably best to loop it right now. Now create a vocoder and the synth that's going to carry the effect. Now here's the important part.

1. Press tab.

2. Route the device playing the sample to the vocoder's modulator input (the one with the mic symbol next to it.)

3. Now route the synth's outputs into the vocoder's left and right carrier inputs.

4. Now while your audio's playing play your synth to see if it's all working.

5. If it is, congrats you did it. Now just browse patches on your synth till you get an effect that you're happy with or tweak the presets till you're satisfied.

And by the way...

You're welcome.

Last edited:
how would you record your own voice into the sound library so that i could play it as a vocoded loop? all i got with it was the getting started manual. and im just getting started on music production. vocoding is just really confusing for me. and i wanna know. so yeah

To use Reason's BV512 Vocoder with your own vocals:

1. Record whatever vocals you want to vocode using whatever DAW you have (not Reason because Reason doesn't record audio).

2. In your Reason project, open a new BV512. Hold shift as you create it so it doesn't get automatically routed in a way you don't want it to. Route the outputs of the vocoder to your mixer or wherever you want it to go. Make sure the equalizer/vocoder knob is set to vocoder and the dry/wet knob is all the way wet.

3. Open an NN-XT (again, while holding shift) and initialize patch if it isn't already initialized. Route output 1 from the NN-XT to the modulator input on the vocoder.

4. Open one of the synthesizers (while holding shift) and initialize patch. I like to use Thor but the Subtractor works well also. Don't use the Malstrom as the carrier, at least not at first. Route the output(s) from the synth to the carrier inputs on the vocoder When vocoding it's important to use a synth with an open filter (if not completely open, close to it). Otherwise it won't work nearly as well because there are no high frequencies to modulate.

5. Now load the vocal sample you previously recorded into the NN-XT. Record that sample to a sequencer track. You will not hear the sample at this point because there is no carrier signal yet. Loop the sample and keep it playing continuously.

6. Now if you play the synthesizer, you will hear the sample being vocoded. You're money!

This is the most basic set up for a vocoder. I do a lot of signal processing in between, such as compressing the modulator and equalizing the carrier, among many other things. There is usually quite a bit of tweaking involved until you can get a sound that you like. It helps to put all the devices involved in one combinator to keep things organized.

Hope this helps!

I've been messing around with the vocoder a little bit after reading how to use it, but I can't get any sick wobblies out of the set up. I mean, I guess they are pretty tight, but I can only get it to play a note that's equal to about 1/4 of a bar, after that it goes quiet. Do i need to plug in a longer vocal sample, or are there any tips on how I can exaggerate the length?

Back