How to really start getting better with synth programming

N

Nervouspace

Hey all, been awhile since I've posted here. I've gotten alot better and learned quite a bit more about my DAW and synthesis. I still am not making very good sounds as I would want them to be and cant really ever copy a sound by hearing it yet...besides the lead to hope-Lemon & einar k.

I was wondering if anyone had any really good online materials and suggestions for getting an intermediate level grasp on synth programming.

Thanks much appreciated

-John

Youtube is a good source to watch a synth master at work and there are a couple of books on the subject im still learning myself

Do you understand the terms that the parts of the synth are made of , and their operations ?
If so , then it should be just a question of experimenting and listening .
If not , then you should go and learn about audio synthesis .

Be aware that broadly speaking , synthesisers tend to have a sound , there is no one synth that can do all .

Last edited:
Once again Youtube is my best friend when it comes to learning about programming. You will find more than enough there. Hope this helps.

Som advice on how to understand what different things sound like (because, let's be honest, it doesn't matter that much to just know what they do)
1. Pick up your favourite synth
2. Find any complex preset you like
3. Open a new instance of the same synth
4. Now try to exactly mimick the settings used on the preset at the new instance (stat with INIT)
5 I recommend to first follow it like this: oscillator(s) - filter(s) - AMP envelope(s) - filter envelope(s) - LFOs and modulation - effects - other
By this you start realizing how different actions, different combinatios contribute to the overall sound, plus you can change some parameters on the way to fit more your desired timbre, having whole new patch programmed

Yea Dmtian has some good advice there, and take notes if need be my biggest struggle is modulation matrix every synth is different

My site doesn't really focus on specific synth programming... but my friend Brian Trifon kicks ass at it! His blog (can't post links yet, sorry) is called Next Step Audio.com.

And, I highly recommend checking out his tracks (Santa Rosa I.E.).

Back