How to make LMMS sound less....MIDI?

d3v1n

Hello
I'm new here and to making music in general.

I have started playing about with LMMS and have constructed a track that I am almost happy with.

The problem is it sounds an awful lot like something from an old SEGA game.
I've used presets and samples that came with the LMMS download to make the track but I am sure there is some way I can get them to sound a bit more organic.
There are lots of knobs to twiddle and I think I just need to know the right the ones.
I've added some delay to them and this helped a bit.

Is there a way to do this or am I just set up to hit a wall by using the included presets etc?

nothing wrong with using the presets

if you are entering your music in on the grid, this will be the source and the solution to your problem

i.e. you need to use some humanising techniques to make the music less rigid

some solutions that you may have to hunt through the manual to find out how to do are

minor randomising of location of notes (nudging off the gird forwards or backwards (later or earlier in time))
minor randomising of velocities (how loud or soft the sound is)

Reverb or chorus can help sometimes if things sound like a videogame.

You will find it's very useful to have a stock of vst effects to hand - reverb, chorus, phaser, flanger, distortion, delay, and less obvious things like EQ and compressors.

There are lots of free ones which you can use, have a browse around kvr audio. I don't know how many run on linux though...

Back