How to make every beat sounding nice and full when you make a beat

ozbeats

Jojo what up,

What can you change to make your beat sounding fuller when you have everything done like mixed every drum sound,sample etc. when im making a beat , i always have this feeling hmm there´s missing something you know.But i did everything mastered , mixed, layering,baseline...i try to put more drum sounds in it but it doesnt help??

perhaps you can post an example so that responses are specific.....
Some options..
Reverb on drums.. Compression...try layering 2 kicks....try creating an extra low synth bass sound that layers with kick...try long reverse cymbal crash or an enveloped sound that builds to end of you beat's loop...try busing the whole thing through some mild distortion to butter it up a bit.
I often find that I use a few instruments per musical part..meaning baseline is carried by a few instruments that are layered.
I duplicate my bassline midi and delete notes I want to be softer...then add for example a plucked bass to the harder bass notes.

along with some of the other stuff already mentioned by deepfryguy. One thing that i have learned to do to make my track sound fuller and bigger is to use a stereo widener on certain elements that i know don't play a very strong key roll in the song. It helps to give the illusion of the track sounding bigger. done correctly it can really add some extra dimension and depth to your track.

ahhh! yes B3Bomber...I forgot to mention panning......pan your instrements..give them each there own place on the "stage"....would sound pretty bad to have the guitarist standing on the piano, and to have the vocalist sitting on the guitarists shoulders right? Might look cool though.

B3Bomber....what effect do you use for stereo widening??

Last edited:
Pads, pads, and more pads, but seriously add them in the background doing the chord progression, or one notes. They add frequencies to fill up your track, and remember with pads (unless they are a primary instrument) if you can hear them, it's too loud.

I agree, adding pads to the background. Interesting stuff here!

Props to Oxygen

Not to hi-jack the the thread..
But great production..Oxygen Beats!
Massively intricate...I think my wrists would have exploded doing all that choppin. Seems like you are uber motivated to make the "Beats" your bread and butter if it is not already.

Best of luck..I'm sure you'll go far

still no example audio so I am left wondering which is the real problem:

• a mix problem ~ could be lack of stereo width and panning, poor eq choices, etc
  • a composition problem ~ inconsistent application of (incomplete) knowledge to creating the different parts
  • an arranging problem ~ apportionment of instruments and lines to melody, counter-melody, harmony and rhythmic impetus
  • an orchestration problem ~ poor use or no use of doubling and instrumentation
  • a general production problem ~ one or more of the above

I tried to play some more sounds in it like pads and stuff it sounds bad man.
I mean i listen to alchemist beats he never uses pads or something , he only uses a sample , bassline , drums ?
Do i have to do something on the drums ?

Add me in facebook when someone can help me name: Ozan Premier

Last edited:
examples please

I tried to play some more sounds in it like pads and stuff it sounds bad man.
I mean i listen to alchemist beats he never uses pads or something , he only uses a sample , bassline , drums ?
Do i have to do something on the drums ?

Add me in facebook when someone can help me name: Ozan Premier

I think we need to have specific example of your track to comment in a less ambiguous way...maybe try and get a free soundcloud account and link to your uploaded track or if you're like me and cannot post links yet....give a search term for soundcloud like your user name and track name.
Perhaps you can reference a specific track by an artist you like and ask "how do I get my kick to punch then sustain like on Tupac's hail mary"

I think we need to have specific example of your track to comment in a less ambiguous way...maybe try and get a free soundcloud account and link to your uploaded track or if you're like me and cannot post links yet....give a search term for soundcloud like your user name and track name.
Perhaps you can reference a specific track by an artist you like and ask "how do I get my kick to punch then sustain like on Tupac's hail mary"

http://www.*********.com/file/hi1u0a

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Do you have facebook bro? then add me : Ozan Premier

and i will send you a mp3 data of my track , from there you can help me?

Ok.... Took a listen .... All sounds pretty good to my ears. I might eq the bassline so that the mid range frequencies of the bassline were a bit higher in the mix..,, compression if you have not already. You may still want to get a free soundcloud account and link to it so that you can get a variety of opinions. It helps to crowd source these things .

If your instrements are sounding thin... Listen to each individual part and try boosting a bit where the part is lacking... If your horns/ brass sound thin.... Try boosting low/mid freq....if they lack detail... Try boosting highs...
Your beat sounds ok to me but, have not had chance to compare to original or to listen on proper studio monitors

Which Freddie fox track are you trying to recreate?

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Ok ... Sorry .. Real emcee is the name of the track. I took a listen.
Sounds like a larger horn section and working the eq a bit.... Then compression to thicken the sound..
Sometimes a little saturation or distortion can help make all the sounds blend and sound, for lack of a better word "vinyl-eee"

Cant anybody help me? I need someone who can help me out of this thing.
It will be dope when someone is working with FL 9.
Come on guys please

just would like to hear an example - could not access it via the incomplete link that you left above (link was vandalised by the fp server scripts, most likely because it is an untrusted site for sharing files through)

Back