how long of a piece should I start with to compose?

046oh

when I learn something new (how to make a new effect or how to compose a melody / bass line / drum track), how long of song should I aim for?
obviously I can't compose a full 3-minute song from the beginning, so... :/

any advice?

Last edited:
1:30-2:00 or so, typically anything much longer tends to get boring without vocals.

That's just my opinion.

It really depends on so many things . . What kind of music are you producing in the first place?

right now I'm trying out different electronic music styles.
this morning I watched a youtube tutorial on how to make house-style melodies.
I like ambient / new age like Paul Schwartz so eventually I want that kind of sound I think.

but really what I'm aiming for is to be able to express what I feel with sound, and not necessarily to produce make sound of a particular genre.

should I have a more specific goal?

tempo is a big determining factor as is number of bars, time signature and structural choices.

32 bars of 4/4 at 144bpm means that you have 53 1/3" of music, so you need 64 bars plus to get to the 1:30-2:00 range suggested

32 bars of 4/4 at 72bpm means that you have 1' 46 2/3" of music right in the middle of the ball park suggested

if the time signature changes to 6/8 (the next most common time signature to use), then these numbers change as follows

@144bpm, that would be 26 2/3"
@ 72bpm, that would be 53 1/3"

Make it however long it needs to be, man...If you feel like the song is done at around the two minute mark, cool. If you feel it should be ten minutes, also cool.

Yeah what Bandcoach said is really true too a lot of my stuff lately has been in tempo ranges of 65-80 BPM.

If you're doing something with like a 110 BPM I'd recommend 1:00-1:30 tops.

Although IMO time shouldn't be your determining factor, bars should.

Keep in mind also that I'm looking at it in terms of keeping listeners interested, not practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back