How to go about a composing a Johnny Juliano style lead

Sosan

Any tips on creating this style of lead? They're almost cheesy, but fit perfect with the arrangement.. Do you think he writes the leads after? or before any tips you can give are helpful.

Example:

Also bonus points if you can figure out how he does that cinematic pitch swell with violin that shows up around 1:38.. Eye think it's probably a sample..

violin thing is portamento and pitch bend with quick scale runs back down

the melodies are based within the underlying chords and are simple variations on a theme

Really? The one that shows up at 1:38 and continues until 2:05? Eye don't hear any runs back down.. just maybe (if it's portamento) he hits the key he just slide up from (and made the portamento move faster).

And for the melodies, yeah, eye know that. Eye think it has to do more with my melodies rhythms being crappy and not matching progressing up and down the scale correctly..

It seems like he just comes up with melodies out his ass and they sound relatively good all the time. (From a modern hip-hop standpoint) If you watch any of his more candid vids on youtube you'll see what eye mean.

@wxlvs eye have one of them, it's alright, didn't encourage me to get his other one.

Last edited:
on the violin thing - it happens twice, so I may have been describing the first time that it comes in

as for the other, think in terms of typical ornaments on basic melody - trills, turns, mordents, etc - these all go a long way towards making a melody more itnersting, although you can overdo it.

on the violin thing - it happens twice, so I may have been describing the first time that it comes in

as for the other, think in terms of typical ornaments on basic melody - trills, turns, mordents, etc - these all go a long way towards making a melody more itnersting, although you can overdo it.

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of some good sources explaining turns and mordents? Eye did some quick research and from the explanations eye am not grasping exactly what it is.. (although eye have probably heard them)

Oh and eye am sorry, one last sound design question. The bass, what's the basic synthesis of that? eye know it's layered but getting the sub part is easy so eye don't need help with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back