How to get that live feel in a beat like timbaland?

Dennis1990

I know Timbaland loves to use ALOT of percussion scattered through the beat

His music has evolved from abstract to more funk live band FEEL

the main melody in the beat is hard to catch on to but the beat feels like it doesn't have a main melody

Anyone know how to grasp that live band FEEL like Timbo?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so, some clarification of information that might get you a few decent responses:

* Did you mean "live 'FEEL'," as opposed to "live field," which is what they are playing World Cup soccer on???

* Your links are broken, so could you re-post so that we can hear what you're talking about?

GJ

Last edited:
OK, so, some clarification of information that might get you a few decent responses:

* Did you mean "live 'FEEL'," as opposed to "live field," which is what they are playing World Cup soccer on???

* Your links are broken, so could you re-post so that we can hear what you're talking about?

GJ

My bad.

Yea I meant live FEEL lol

it has a live feel because it is using real musicians playing together in the same room

some of the sweeteners like the strings and percussion may be tracked in later, but the core group is grooving in the same room at the same time

Yeah, live feel comes from live players, although it seems in those examples you posted that there's a mix of programming, loops, and live action.

If those links are indicative of what you want to do, and you don't have access to live players, there are still some things you can do. First of all, _listen_ to _a lot_ of different types of music, and go see live acts-- listen, watch, learn, apply. The examples you gave are R&B, so listen to a lot of R&B (and contemporary Gospel). And when you're programming, do things that are more involved than 1, 2, or 4-bar loops. Variety (even over a two-chord vamp) is what keeps things interesting (and "live" sounding).

GJ

Back