How to find the Key of a Sample?

listen, hum the note you hear
- whilst humming then play on your keyboard or guitar each note in turn util you find it
- yes, it is hum and peck, but until you develop your ear this is the only real solution

use a tool like a melodyne or re-ptich software to identify the perceived fundamental note
- it may not be correct as there may be many notes playing at once, and it will just pick the loudest one
- in this case you need to develop your ear for chord types and know what notes go into making each chord type

Here's my approach.

1) Use a tuner plug-in to find the main note. Logic has one, not sure about other software.
2) Grab a piano or sine wave to just confirm that this in fact is the right pitch.
3) Tune the sample to the perfect pitch
4) Now you've found the root note, try and find out what scale it's using. Major, Minor, Blues etc...

Hope this helps

----------------------

Just released: The Glass Absolute Quintent - http://www.soniczest.com/quintet
& eBow Mandolin - http://www.soniczest.com/ebow

I usally take a look at my piano with the notes that are played and try to find it like that. If I can't find it I'll just grab a piece of paper and write down for example all major scales to see if they fit into one. I'm sure it can be done easier and faster but this has worked for me so far.

1.Learn your key signatures
2.Practice learning keys by listening to a song in that key and hearing the key on an instrument such as guitar or Piano
3.Practice all keys
4.Make music with a tone in mind
5.Train your ear off

This really takes time if you want it by ear. My source is I'm a music minor in college right now, but if you don't have a guitar or piano I'd recommend using a free cheap vst, and I'd personally reccomend using the piano as a pitch marker over everything as today it is the instrument in modern day in which all western things are tuned to or share its tuning.

I'd say train your ear to western music first i.e. hip hop, edm, country, rock, blues, classical, etc., and when you master that advance to world music. That is if oyu want to do world music also.

Back