How far can you justify using loops?

djvega1

Full-Time Legend
I've found this amazing banjo guitar loop included with logic that I put a beat to and it sounded great. I can imagine the synth, build up and general song structure around it, but at the end of the day the reason the song sounds good is because of this loop.

How far can I actually justify that it's my music? To an extent I (could) turn the loop into a song, which would be my work, but the a big reason the song would be good would be the loop.

As I'm getting into producing I see royalty free loops seem to be a big part of the game, but I tend to try to not to use them because I don't feel I've earned any praise it gets.

Any thoughts?

One justification is perhaps that you could cover the loop yourself. You could learn the notes and play it. You using it just means that you don't have the means to facilitate the recording yourself in the same way. So essentially it makes no difference if you played it, found it or stole it, you're all about the end product.

I chop up loops. Sometimes I'll leave the loop in a song but the loop not my lead sound. Just there for texture

One justification is perhaps that you could cover the loop yourself. You could learn the notes and play it. You using it just means that you don't have the means to facilitate the recording yourself in the same way. So essentially it makes no difference if you played it, found it or stole it, you're all about the end product.

I do what he says. It gives you a lot more flexibility.

if you have to justify something you probably shouldn't do it. thats what i think, though this is obviously something you cannot follow with everything, my thoughts are sampling is something that applies to this.

in my opinion, not only is looping bad for your musical growth but it stunts your creative growth and vision. i believe they are different things. for instance, musically, if you are able to actually play it, do it. you might even realize it doesnt even have to be on guitar, it could be played on piano or a well-programed synth and it is not so much the instrument that is interesting you.

creatively, you could be doing a lot more than just using some dry sample and it concerns me that you aren't, or maybe im assuming and you just didn't post you were going to modulate it. a common technique -- in ableton, and im sure this translates to logic -- is putting a high-pass auto filter on it and then modulating the frequencies to get some interesting effects -- you could even put on a low-pass/modulate. you could use a tasteful amount of flanging or ping-pong. you could reverse it and delve into the intricacies of that. you could put massive amounts of reverb on it, record that into an audio track, freeze it and then put your new audio into a sampler to create a purist, light-hearted lfo.

i just cant ever, ever justify using a dry sample, as is. =/

I used to be like that.

Now I don't care though.

I say as long as it's hot, by any means necessary.

So long as you're advancing on it, no big deal.

Take any loop and throw a snare over it for all I care.

So long as in the end it sounds good, why make things harder than they have to be?

I've found this amazing banjo guitar loop included with logic that I put a beat to and it sounded great. I can imagine the synth, build up and general song structure around it, but at the end of the day the reason the song sounds good is because of this loop.

How far can I actually justify that it's my music? To an extent I (could) turn the loop into a song, which would be my work, but the a big reason the song would be good would be the loop.

As I'm getting into producing I see royalty free loops seem to be a big part of the game, but I tend to try to not to use them because I don't feel I've earned any praise it gets.

Any thoughts?

I can identify with this entirely. And that's why I don't use loops so much. It feels cheap. The songs can be good, but it's like they aren't mine. Why would I want to spend MY time making someone ELSE's tunes? It just doesn't compute. I still use loops every so often like a thickener in a soup, but it's no longer the main ingredient. More time spent performing my own stuff is more time learning how to master my own style. And that's time well spent.

I dont think there is a need for justification about loop using. Its all about making music and expressing yourself.

I dont think there is a need for justification about loop using. Its all about making music and expressing yourself.

I feel you on that. It's your work, and however you do it is up to you, may it be with loops, samples, or from scratch.

I can identify with this entirely. And that's why I don't use loops so much. It feels cheap. The songs can be good, but it's like they aren't mine. Why would I want to spend MY time making someone ELSE's tunes? It just doesn't compute. I still use loops every so often like a thickener in a soup, but it's no longer the main ingredient. More time spent performing my own stuff is more time learning how to master my own style. And that's time well spent.

I'm on the exact same page as you bro, but only in certain circumstances. If I title the song a play on the original, so it's very blatant as to what was sampled, then I'll do it. But when creating a song from scratch, I feel like I've actually accomplished something and you get an awesome sense of satisfaction, especially when the chicks dig it. I don't think I'd feel the same if I just used a loop and added drums..I'd at least have to chop it up or something to put my twist on it. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Using the loop as a starting point to build off can be helpful. However, you need to listen for any FX that were included in the sample/loop. Reverb, compression/EQ, etc. If you can mimic the same effects, then go for it. But most likely it will be nearly impossible to make any of your surrounding instruments sound like they belong with the loop. Especially when using a sample that has already been compressed(I encounter people using mp3s for loops, and then wonder why their all their tracks sounds like something out of 1993). Recreating the loop with midi might be easier than you think, and offer you much more control as far as producing the track. IMHO try that first and then see if you like it better. If not, it's your music so do whatever you want. And there's nothing wrong with the music out of 1993, personally I've been a fan of Biggie and Nirvana since I was a little kid :P

Seems to be pretty mixed opinions, I think some good points have been raised. I guess I'm still on the not using loops camp at the minute, sure it might mean my songs won't be so great for now, but as I practise making music I will get better writing them. Shame though cause this banjo loop really was tight haha

I guess you can say loops are just another tool on the tool belt. It's use less if you don't know how to use it or a life saver when you need it

If its a loop that i just feel like i gotta use i may cut something out of it and build around that. Or like LostProfit said, learn the notes and play it yourself. It does feel like im cheating tho, but if i can do something creative with it then its coo i guess.

Back