How Do You Work?

Zer0PointEnergY

What I mean is do you have a Routine, on the Way You Put Together a Piece?..or Are you Completly FreeStyle?

I usually Start out the Same, then go into a More Sketchish, FreeStylism, ExpirimitationoFashionIshTypeThingaMajiggy.

What I mean is I usually Start with the Beat, then mess around with the Rythem, then find the Lead(s), and Keep on building. Then once its gets very Busy, infactr TOO Busy, then I start Breaking it Down From There. Then once I have a Sketch, or Outline of a Piece, I'll Start EQing things out; detail work, etc.

Then After that Comes the Fun Part of listening, until Ear Fatigue Sets in and I have to call it the day, or take a break.

That usually gets me a Good Start.

AnyBody Else?

ZPE:cheers:

I usually spend lots and lots of time with my track. I'm kind of a perfectionist so everything has to be trimmed and polished to the max. I sometimes take a couple of days break from the track, it helps, when I return to the track I can hear better if the mixing needs work. I work in tiny bits as well as 6-8 hour lumps. As long as I'm 100% happy with it, no less. :)

CZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I Agree. I think it is Good to Give Your Ears a Break Either for Awhile, or to leave a Track Alone for Awhile, and then Come Back to It. It sounds Fresh Again if you Leave it alone for awhile, and You come back to it, and then you can 'Hear' what you need to Fix, Add, or Change.

SomeTImes I will start working on something else, just to give my Mind a Break from the Hearing the Same Piece Over, and Over Again...

Have you Heard about 'Ear Fatigue'? It is quite common Among People like us. Just like any other part or Muscle in Your Body, your Ears Get Tired from being Used all the time. You know how it is if you Stare at the TV, or a Monitor, or after Reading a Book for a Long time, and your Eyes just get tired? Well Your Ears are the Same Way they Need to Rest after being Used for a Long time.

Sorry for Rambling!:D

I create the beat. Then play with the hi-hats, claps, snares.
Then I watch TV for 30 seconds and get a melody idea. All of a sudden I have way too much melodic stuff and I start cutting it out.
Then my track sounds funny so I add more stuff in.
And before you know it, I have a track that's nothing like I wanted, but alot like my style.
Ah well,
J

Then I watch TV for 30 seconds and get a melody idea

Not a Bad Idea, I think I might try That...Hopefully your New Tune Won't Endy Up Sounding like an InfoMercial!:D Just Kidding.

Anything to get those Wheels Rolling!

There's just so much electronica on TV - car commercials, icey gum commercials that are clearly marketed to ravers, every movie advertisement has breakbeat, all that, that it's the quickest source of inspiration for me.

I'll sometimes try to write a song like someone else. Basically I try to blatently rip someone off, but it never works. It always winds up sounding like me. Funny how that works.

Ok. Does Anybody Out There have a "Set In Stone" Routine. My Guess is No. Also, You People out there Messy? Cuz, MY Room is a Mess! I'm wondering if what they say about Artists is True? Are they Messy, ScatterBrains (some people might call Slobs), but I beg to Differ. Its an Orderly Chaos Thang! :)

My studio goes in and out of messiness,One day I'll have all of my records alphabetized,and categorized(which is a daunting task considering there is a few thousand)Than I'll get right in the middle of making a beat,and be searching for the perfect sample,and bam!!.......records everywhere.i don't know what is wrond with me,I'm the same way when I deejay.I just get them everywhere!....I don't think I'm stupid,it's just a weird thing to do,I mean I'll spend most of a day organizing all of my records,and spend an hour getting them all out of the cases,and scattered around the room.TIPS FOR STREAMLINING::::Use PATCHBAYS .......they save alot of wear and tear on your gear,as well as making rearranging easier(no more moving gear)
CABLE SNAKES......they save alot of tangles(and you don't have to use an 8 1/4"-8 1/4" just for using 8 outs,try it for going in&out of 2 stereo effects processors etc.
LINEAR LAYOUT....Set up your gear from left to right,according to the flow of the signal through your machines.(I don't know why,it just seems to make sense,as well as easy trouble shooting)
DIGIPATCH...anyone who uses more than two digital connections needs one of these.It allows you 12 inputs,and 6 outputs(targets)has spdif/tdif/adat formats,and is basically"point and shoot"......It makes digital patching so easy it's not even funny(by M Audio/Midiman)
DON"T LET PHATBASTARD NEAR YOUR RECORDS
I will leave them scattered all over the place,..............

Yeah Im a musician and a professional illustrator. My studio is a total mess all the time. ALthough I wouldn't necessarily call it orderly chaos", heheh, because I can never find s**t!!! Its more a focus thing. I get focused on my creative stuff and dont pay attention to where I set things down and get wrapped up and run out of time or inspiration for picking up after myself. I get focused on what im working on and meanwhile the world (or my studio) goes to hell all around me and i barely notice, heheh.

My computer is very oranized though, surprisingly enough. Im very anal about my song and loop foldrs and the rest of the software and music files on my system.

Vanian, you're kinda like me. My apartment is usually a mess, but my sample folders, software and music is organized to maximum. :) And when I put the headphones on, I forget about the outside world and just sink to the music making. Music is the most important thing in my life (no one tell that to my girlfriend :D).

CZ

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather not admit publicly that music is more important than my girlfriend. I'll just leave it at that.
J
(She's Katherine, by the way, of "Katherine's Secret").

I'll tell you straight up honest here. Art is the only reason I don't put a gun to my head and end it all. Art is the only saving grace, the only redeeming quality of our species. This planet is populated with so much violence, uglyness, intolorance, and stupidity I refuse to bring a child into this world to experience the disappointments and feelings of hopeless cynicism that I harbor.

Music in particular, has the capacity to transcend the uglyness and intolorance that divide the many people of this planet. When a song brings tears to my eyes, it reaffirms my belief that there is some good here and we're not just a collective waste of carbon and water.

I'm generally a happy person. I'm just repulsed that the main concern of governments and corporations on this planet. The concern of who's going to control the resources this planet has to offer, and how can I exploit the masses in my favor.
I refuse to buy releases from major labels now. I think corporations are evil and taint the art of music. They bring evil to something pure. About 99% of the music I get now a days is from unsigned artist. They're still somewhat pure and sometimes groundbreaking, as opposed to the sure fire bread and butter money makers the big labels produce. Notice how when Britney got big there were 10 other clones riding her coat tails. Same with the boy bands.

All true, Fumbling.
I agree the corporation era sucks. It's not the end, though. The corporation is a temporary thing, until the next thing comes along. We can never know what that next thing is because if we knew about it, we'd do it. That's the way "progress" works. So look forward to that. I'm hoping the next age happens in our lifetimes. Maybe electronica will help us get there.
:D

Music is a great thing about life. My girlfriend is a great thing about life too.

Oh ya, 1 more thing. Maybe a kid is just what you need to bring new hope into your life.

J
:cheers:

Maybe electronica will help us get there.

All of a sudden I just started thinking about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

You're right, maybe a kid is what I'm need, but I'm a 28 year old boy myself. I'm too selfish with my time right now for that kind of commitment. Hell I have a hard time commiting to a pair of socks in the morning much to the chagrin of my girlfriend.

Back