How DO U know what chords go together

J

jayeasy123

i want to know what chords together and how to make then sound like most hip hop and r&b songs can u give examples so i can understand

man there are no rules, let your ear decide whats good for you. Go get some sheet music to your favorite r&b songs and see what chords they used, that helps you alot

I just use my ears... if it sounds good i'll run with it. Works for me, just play around and listen 2 old school RnB tracks to get ideas.

^^^
you've got to have an ear for consonance and dissonance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha, you really expect that hundreds of years of Western music experience and theory and experimentation be passed down to you in one single condensed and extensive post?
Go read some books - "Theory of Harmony" by Arnold Shoenberg, or some other harmony text (you need to know how to read music).
While the other posts are right that you have to follow your ear, thats almost impossible for a NOOB. You have to gain a sense of form and train your ear, before you rely only on it.
Plus trying to just play random chords and see if they fit together is really frustrating to someone who has no idea what they are doing. Go read, it will be invaluable to you.

Learn scales, then some progressions like I-IV-V etc and then use them on the scales you learned. That way you also train your ears..

jayeasy123 said:
i want to know what chords together and how to make then sound like most hip hop and r&b songs can u give examples so i can understand
Try googling "diatonic chords", "common chord progressions" and "sheet music for song you like here".

chords have properties that make them "resolve" into other chords....

to understand how to make chord progressions, you first need to know how to make chords based on all of the degrees (notes) of the scale.

since there are 7 notes in the standard scale, there are 7 chords that are primary to that scale.

here's a good strategy for forming chords:
write down all of the notes of the scale that you are working with, putting the number of the note below it

For example

C Major:
C D E F G A B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

now to make a chord, simply start on that degree of the scale and add add every other note (for the next two or more notes):

for example- to make the chord based off of C,
take the 1, 3, and 5
C E G

to make the chord based off of the 3rd, E min, take the 3, 5, and 7
E G B

for the 6th, it would be the 6, the 1, and the 3

A C E

this strategy will work for any reg major or minor scale.

now to finish answering your questions of what will resolve or lead to what other chord

------------------------------------------------------------------
Chord leading reference

1 -----> any chord
2 -----> 4,5, 7
3 -----> 2,4
4 -----> 1,5,7
5 -----> 1
6 -----> 2,4
7 -----> 1,3

------------------------------------------------------------------

Before anyone gets sketchy with this, there are exceptions and extentions of this, but this is a good starting ground for understanding the basic properties of chords for resolving into each other.

to make progressions, start on a number and have that go to a number that it resolves to, such as

1, 4, 5
1,4,1,5, etc

the only general rule is to make the chord progression end with something that would resolve back to the chord that you started on (for example, if you started your progression on 1, ending on 5 would work well because it would naturally lead back to one.)

If you have any questions about this, dont hesitate to ask....

_lodger_

screw that
i know a lot o theory, but when you start using all of it in a creative situation, you are most likely to just come up with a cliche proggresion that is used all the time, eg. in in the key of Dm, a mega overused proggresion would be F, C, Dm. Just go with what sounds good, dont get bogged down in theory, it just takes away the fun.

Theory should become so natural that you stop thinking about it. Then you can do "just what sounds good" and still have coherent chord progressions without falling for the same ones over and over again.

Theory is Key

Try writing a short story without understanding how the english "language" is arranged, or even how the letters of the alphabet sound. Music is a "language" and to communicate through it, one must understand its most basic elements.

So often I hear people dismissing music theory as a crutch or an abused vocabulary. Musical Vocabulary is a must if you wish to create not only something new, but to express something meaningful.

Music theory is called a "theory" because unlike Math or science, there is no falsifiability aside from one's musical taste and background. In other words, there is no right or wrong answer in sound. But this theory is derived from literally thousands of years of study and general practice. For a form of music so dense with sound such as hiphop, it would be catastrophic for the newest generation of composers to just dismiss these true-izms completely.

Beat production is composition. Hip hop is so obviously derived from blues and jazz its eery.

No need to get all nerdy with it. Just respect the decision of the composer, and the more knowledgable composer will most definetly produce a more interesting listening experience.

P.S. Here's a test to see if you're an advanced listener.
Listen to the album, ******* Brew by Miles Davis. If after a full listen of this landmark recording you're not fully intrigued by the use of harmony and open ended song form/improvised song form, then you are hopeless and you should give up now. Don't waste our time. Music needs a new leader, not more followers. If you love it, "keep on to da rhythm, ya don't stop"

CapitaL B
www.LSPhiphop.com

Or you can use the Circle of 5ths and go in either direction w/ your chords. But you must understand how to construct a chord and a its inversions. My man is correct when explaining how to construct chords from scales, he just left this part out.

Last edited:
think yall gave the kid all he need to know...me personally, i straw away from learning chord progressions, transitions, etc...for most ppl learning this is very beneficial but for others it just gets in the way, my ears hears whats off key and whats not

Back