how do u create a 'whoooosh' sound????

F

flying knight

i dont use other peoples samples and want to create a 'whoosh' sound. i have absynth 2 and think its poss in this, but im not an expert with that at the mo..

any tips, pointers appericated.

cheers

fknight

Can't give you the ultimate recipe but it should work with a noise waveform and some pitch-bending and/or cutoff bending...

I don't know what exactly you mean by a "whoosh-sound" though :)

THM! Samplecarze! This is the people to be asking.

The envelope is important as well. long attack, decay, sustain, and release.

=> for the "wind" kind of swoosh sounds do this:

Use only white noise as oscillator.
If you have more oscillators, diable those (or set the volume on 0, or whatever - depending from synth to synth).

Add modulation (you'd check out several sources and destinations - decide what you like the most) - and not to forget set the modulation rate very low (slow); that will go make the sound slowly up/down.

Use some attack (to slowly come in the sound), play with D/S/R (longer D&R or S&R for longer lasting sounds).

You can also add chorus and especially phaser to make the sound go "woosh" still more...

It's all about trial and error to get the sound you want - but definitely start with noise.

=> for the "high tone to bass drops" do this:

set a higher or lower pitch envelope depth (depending if you want bass drops or upgoing sounds) and play with the pitch envelope parameters to get the sound you want

(don't shoot me if I forgot something -- I'm not in front of my synths right now so I had to describe it by heart. If I don't forget I'll try it out myself ASAP)

thanks for that. very helpful. excuse my beginner ignorance, but would i be able to create white noise through setting up a patch in absnyth? or???

what would be the source of white noise, the actual synths i use? im running logic 5.5 . can i use any of the bundled snyths. also have a ppg2.

thanks anyway.

I don't have any of those, but I'm pretty sure you should have a feature there - in the oscillator section - called "noise" or "white noise" or an oscillator option called "noise" (besides "saw", "square", "etc...).
Can you find that ?

yeah, ive seen some of my synths with noise buttons. ill have a go at it.

cheers and thanks for your help.

this seems a little out of place after all the white noise and absynth talk, but i just DLed a freeware synth the other day, and i think it might even be called 'woosh' or something like that. and it was designed to make 'wooshy' noises. i played with it for like two minutes so far. its interesting. and with some layering and effects, i bet itll be pretty useful. do a search. i think i found it through kvr on someones site.

peace.

yeah, it is called 'woosh' or 'whoosh' or 'whooooosh', or something like that. its around. i just found it the other day. and im pretty sure it was on kvr, along with a few others by the same folks. if i was home i could figure it out, but im not. there is a possibility its from the same people that have one called 'atomic' too, that looks kinda interesting. although i could be completely wrong about that last part. ha....

peace.

hi thm

which snyths do u use to create your whoosh sound? canu provide download links. any luck with that whoosh snyth the other guy talks about, ill give it a bash 2night. cheers. fk

I haven't any "fixed" synth for whooshes; sometimes I use my JP-8080, sometimes my Memorymoog or Synthex or Supernova II, sometimes even samples, or lately very often softsynths like the Superwave P8.

flying knight said:
i dont use other peoples samples and want to create a 'whoosh' sound.

If it's just an effect, you might find a good whoosh sound on an effect/sample CD...

yeah, that whoosh works a treat. exactly what i was looking 4.

werd. did you see that thing called 'field'? i cant remember if it was by the same guys, but its a weird one for sound textures and stuff. really wierd.

peace.

Back