How do Producers make hi hats "slow down" or "go off beat"without changing tempo?

Whitelexluger

How do Producers make hi hats "slow down" or "go off beat"without changing tempo?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If not, listen closely to the hi hat pattern in Hard in da paint, along with many other lex luger songs. Notice how in certain portions of the pattern, the hi hat goes off beat from the main tempo. It's hard to explain but I'm sure someone knows what Im talking about. How do you do this with your hi hats?

It's the timing. Normally hats are gonna be done in 8ths(hat hat clap, hat hat clap) or 16th which seem really fast(hat hat hat hat clap, hat hat hat hat clap). Hope you get what I'm saying hard to explain without audio examples and I honestly just don't feel like posting them.

Lex luger is using 64ths. 4 times faster than 16ths. Different ways to do this from Daw to Daw/instrument to instrument, but there will be a way to set your timing/chop/resolution/count(it'll be called something like that depending on the program).

Nope, triplet 8ths and triplet 16ths being mixed up with straight 8ths and 16ths

Beat->1--e--+--u--2--e--+--u--
triplet 16thsxxxxxxxxxxxx
straight 16thsxxxxxxxx
triplet 8thsxxxxxx
straight 8thsxxxx
triplet 4trsxxx
straight 4trsxx

^^^Lex isn't using triplets.

Some trap does, it's actually a common solution to getting the same effect, but he uses 64ths.

He tells on himself because he's got vids up of him making beats.

He actually does everything in FL using 16ths and then uses FL's "chop" to cut those 16th hats into 4 smaller parts....64ths. Unorthodox, but that's what he does.

And when you mix triplets with straights manually, you're gonna be working in 32nds and 64ths.

I might not know much about chords, but drum/sampler programming is my area. :cheers:

If you're using ableton, stick an arpeggiator before your high hat drum rack or whatever you're using. Set the rate on the arp to 'free' - start playing, and then twist the 'free rate' knob.

^^^Lex isn't using triplets.

beg to differ as the track in question once we get past the opening section has the hats doing this

8th-16th-16th-8th-16th-16th-8th-16th-16th-8thTrip-8thTrip-8thTrip | 8th-16th-16th-8th-16th-16th-8th-16th-16th-32nd-32nd-32nd-32nd-16th-16th | and so on....

beg to differ as the track in question once we get past the opening section has the hats doing this

8th-16th-16th-8th-16th-16th-8th-16th-16th-8thTrip-8thTrip-8thTrip | 8th-16th-16th-8th-16th-16th-8th-16th-16th-32nd-32nd-32nd-32nd-16th-16th | and so on....

Oh, you're talking theory. What I'm saying is he isn't arranging a sequence of hats in 16 and another sequence in 16t, he's arranging it all in 16ths and using FL's "chop" tool to cut some notes into 4ths(64ths). The only way to get a sequence going in the same way with a piano roll or step sequence manually is to use 64ths(unless you're using more than 1 arrangement simultaneously).

I wasn't referencing just that 1 track in question, that's his regular routine as seen via his own production vids.

EDIT: just listened, there are indeed triplets used in hard in the paint(most of his tracks don't use them), but they lead up to absolute 64ths. The hats start off with 16ths, then go to 16t for that "studder'(lack of better words)back to 16ths, then double to 32nd for a sec before going into full 64ths for the really rapid hats around the ends of the 3rd and 4th bar before looping.

My bad, didn't listen to the song in question, just went by what he usually does/what's usually done when referring to 'rapid hihats". Also half read the question, those "off beat" hats are indeed triplets.

Last edited:
It sounds like he just throws in triplets into the middle of a double time hi hat roll to give it a slowed down off beat feeling

Lex is using triplets. Study music theory and things will come more naturally to you.

this is not so much theory as ear training - recognising what is happening and then implementing it - the theory part is knowing how to render it.

@deranged: how you describe the individual notes comes back to how you perceive the tempo - I perceive it as being very slow, so hear 8ths and 32nds

In Fl Studio it's easy as hell to "Freak" the hi hats if you just right click the hi hat pattern... Fill every two... right click the hi hat pattern... go to piano roll... then highlight one of the bars... go to the wrench of the piano roll screen... choose "Chop"... and when the screen pops up you can chop bar into a million or just 2 different notes.

Back