How do i take a sound and make it same lenght in all notes ?

BeatsByD

Lets say i have a wav file of a synth/sound and its 5 seconds long. How do i make it so its always 5 seconds no matter how long i go up and down in the piano roll in Fl Studio ? I mean i want it to change pitch when i go up and down and still keep it the same lenght for all notes.

As it is now when i go up the sound is quicker and slower when i go down.

this is the lost art of setting sample loop points for the sustain portion of the sound. With this done you can use the same sample over a range of keys; in the old days you would try to have new samples every 4 semitones up or down; this is still good advice today.

old school samplers would do what you want as long as you selected your section to repeat: if you did not do this then you got the effect your describe everything running faster or slower depending on current pitch

not knowing your sample playback environment I cannot offer further advice

In any DAW you would have to manually adjust the tempo of the sample. Naturally the tempo will rise with a higher pitch and slow with a lower that's just how most samplers work. In Fl you can manually adjust the tempo of a sample with Slicex or the fruity slicer.

depends on the type of sample but for the likes of basses i prefer to cut the sample down real short before i loop it, say 4/5 wave lengths and i have more control over the volume side of the adsr

I agree with Bandcoach after 4 semi-tones or transposes you're really going to find it difficult to keep a good quality of the sound unless you are using it for distortion or effects then you might be able to get away with some reverb and equing to blend things together but I'm only talking with experience in Ableton's warping maps. So if anyone knows something I don't please correct me.

Back