how do i make my beats more energetic, hard hitting, tension??

RhyanCrisis

lately i've been trying to do something different to my beats.. i usually just add a lead synth onto it and tweak it.. and that gives it a pump feel to it... but i've been trying to get into other instruments like brass, paino, guitar etc.... i have basic knowledge of these... but how can i make my beats sound more hard club banger rushing sounding?... without using bass of course lol... i don't want someone to say "add lots of bass"!

Actually there are different drum presets/samples for different purposes, and sometimes fiddling around the parameters can get annoying even if you know how to handle them - you won't make anything significantly better just because you made wrong choice in the very beginning. As for my sources of pounding/crushing/apocalyptic beats, it's Native Instruments Battery, Native Instruments Maschine and Ableton Live Drum Rack mainly. You just gotta spend some time exploring libraries, and my advice is that if something doesn't sound like fun, then abandon it and try a different thing... And there are always EQ and effects for fine tuning.

thank you guys, i'll check these out asap... but i think i mean more.... like how to make my beats make people want to dance.. or nod their hands... or stand still ya kno?.. like those type of impacts... maybe its just me cause i made them lol... but i don't get like... excited hearing them.... idk... maybe there's a technique to make my drums more bouncy or something idk

As others have stated, a lot of it comes down to proper sound design / sample selection. What hasn't been mentioned yet is the mixing aspect.

For any song, I like to say that it's best to get your low end working first (your kick + bass) as this is what will get people dancing. To this end, generally the kick+bass need to work together to create a sort of "pulse." There are tons of ways to do this, just search google. Off the top of my head, the way I would do it is through compressing, EQing, or sidechaining (or with a mix of them).

The compressor on a kick with a fast attack will create the pumping. EQing is probably the most important aspect though, and each kick/bass sound requires different equalizations. Essentially you need to make enough frequency room for each instrument to reside without mudding up the other. Again, the frequency ranges will be in any guide you find on proper mixing (search kick/bass mixing on google). Generally you're going to want your kick/bass to be louder than the leads as well. You just gotta remember to leave enough frequency room for each instrument to play in or else you will lose that pulse that makes it exciting to hear.

I've been struggling with this lately in my productions, which it sounds like you have too. Making the music sound professional so that other people find it appealing. It comes down to all the aspects: proper sample/synth creation, good arrangement to have the build ups/drops, and definitely the mixing (arguably the hardest part). Maybe post some of your stuff and I can suggest which area you need to focus on?

Back