how do i get into film scoring

TOPNOTCH

Can anyone tell me how I can get into film scoring. I have been making beats for a while now and many of my beats sound like the kind that should be in the background of a movie. Any info would help, thanx...

don't just look into film scoring but instead take the whole industry^_^ look at Radio and creating jingles, Multimedia, games,(games films is there difference not really) Industrial films, independent films, TV, commercials, everything needs music. here is own people miss, and that is flash. Many business wants so kick'n trance or something to accompany there flash presentations.
Check out forums where people are creating films, animations anything. I am sure you'll be doing music for something soon if you check everything that I posted here^_*

Many businesses create presentations for the web sites with Flash Animation,
They like to have music with there persentations. So like Flash is just some way of creating Animation in Html or something, I don't know LOL! I do know that there are tons of pages on the web that use Flash^_* I can't like go into the technical aspect of what flash is I don't know how to create it at all.
just do a search in google about flash and you can download it if you don't have it in your browser yet? then when you go to pages with Flash it will load up the animation. Lot of Audio sites use it too, Korg and others.

lol yeah I know what flash is. Just the sentence was very strange....made no sense at all. But thats StrangeCat for you:p Ha ha!

You need to decide if you want to "score film" or "have your music in a film," which are entirely different things.

To "score" a film means to compose music based on the director's...well, direction. Scoring is an art unto itself, and I'd think the best way to break in is via film schools and student films.

If you have tracks you're looking to have placed in a film (i.e., I've got 'beats' that i think are appropriate for film), then you want to get your tracks to music supervisors and production libraries. PL's (formerly known as "needle-drop") are one of the main sources of music for television (especially reality shows).

One way I get my music in front of such people is to use IMDB (you *DO* use IMDB, yes?!?) and research who the MD is on any given show I may want my music to appear in. I then research the production company that's making the show, and follow any submission guidelines they have.

As an aside, if you're getting to a point in your career where you feel comfortable submitting to these companies on a regular basis, it's time to get an agent/manager who can do a lot of the submission/negotiation on your behalf so you can concentrate on music.

At least, that's what *I* think....

Another question I have related to scoring (with any music and/or venue) is DO YOU have any particular tips or suggestions when actually composing a score (simple or complex)?

hey can you be more percise on what you mean for complex and simple? Because all orchestraion is not complex, yet percussion in movies can be pretty complex, electronic, ethnic jazz whatever.
Ok I know people are probably going to argue about the orchestra thing, for a given episode in a movie it could be at that time there is this huge Conophony of Sound!!! crazy polophonic atonal melodies clashing into each other, then that lasts what 10 seconds? LOL!

StrangeCat said:
hey can you be more percise on what you mean for complex and simple? Because all orchestraion is not complex, yet percussion in movies can be pretty complex, electronic, ethnic jazz whatever.
Ok I know people are probably going to argue about the orchestra thing, for a given episode in a movie it could be at that time there is this huge Conophony of Sound!!! crazy polophonic atonal melodies clashing into each other, then that lasts what 10 seconds? LOL!

Yeah, im kinda going for the film scoring this. Ive been watching movies a lil more closely to see how they blend one track into the next track, how the mood effects what song needs to be played, etc...

Basically I guess I was asking how you or individuals blends their music when scoring. You know, a tip or two so one might not ruin a great home movie with a crappy mix/score.

But I kinda answered my own question which is .... 'just go with the mood of the current scene' etc...

How about this--film score is mainly used for transitions (aside from the obvious opening/closing credits). Whether from one scene to another or from one mood to another, music helps smooth the segue. A good thing to practice (that I learned in film school) is to watch a scene with the sound off, and make notes about where you would start/stop the music. Then go back and see what the composer did.

Also, you can try "temp-tracking" a scene--break out your favorite CD's, and play them over a scene w/the original sound off. It's amazing how different a scene can seem with different music.

Back