How to change the sound type?

Dennis1990

I go through a couple presets built in nexus and wonder if there are ways change how they play?

For example:
If I find a flute sound and want to make it more buzzy than airy

would I have to change it in the plug-in? or is there a vst that I can run sound through to change it to like a triangle,buzz,square wave etc.?

are you asking if you can take a preset and change how it sounds?

Either way, this 'plug in' that you are referring to is commonly referred to as synthesizer...lol..So yes, you can edit the presets, thats exactly what the software is made for.. They can do a hell of a lot more than toggle through a set of pre made sounds..There is NO WAY your question can be what I am assuming it is though, because earlier I seen a post where you said you sell beats. And your avatar shows you mixing on a console. There's no way you don't know what a synthesizer does.

Or are you asking if you can take a preset and change its actual wave forms? If so, just try it.. its literally one click of the mouse to see if it sounds good or not. The only way you're ever gonna learn to synthesize is by playing around with stuff like that.

Im just gonna ignore the fact that you wanna run a preset through another preset on a completely different plugin in order to change its waveform. lol.

Last edited:
The sound is making that specific sound BECAUSE of the wave form. If you change the wave form you will be changing the Phase cancellations between them because they will meet in different spots..completely changing the sound...but like i said..just try it. its not that hard to click a button and change the waveform. You aren't gonna get anywhere by asking anyone because there is no way of knowing if the sound will work or not until you try it.

Select the preset, then change the waveform on the synth...if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. Theres no iron clad for sure way to just change the waveform and get the sound you instantly want. Thats where ACTUAL synthesizing comes in.

If you wanna change the triangle wave to a square..just do it..it doesn't mean its gonna sound how you want it to though. But it might. This just keeps coming back to play around with the synth until you get it.

Last edited:
If there is a way to do this, id like to know. There could be I guess but it makes no sense to me that you'd be able to with how the wave forms work.

Nexus is not a proper synth, it doesn't have oscillators and all that but you can tweak the presets that are already there. There are heaps of knobs literally right in front of you that you can mess with. Just start tweaking them and see what happens, they are pretty restricting though as in there is not much you can do to change the sound too much.
Also there are sub menus on the left and right of the selection screen labelled things like 'arp', 'mod' and some others, I cant remember what they are off the top of my head but there are certain parameters that you can tweak.

Nexus is not a proper synth, it doesn't have oscillators and all that but you can tweak the presets that are already there. There are heaps of knobs literally right in front of you that you can mess with. Just start tweaking them and see what happens, they are pretty restricting though as in there is not much you can do to change the sound too much.
Also there are sub menus on the left and right of the selection screen labelled things like 'arp', 'mod' and some others, I cant remember what they are off the top of my head but there are certain parameters that you can tweak.

None of those perimeters are going to be relevant to what he wants to do. Just sounds like nexus is a cheap free plugin that comes with FL studio. A synth where you can only use pre sets and not able to toggle wave forms? come on haha.

Back