How to Bring out the Low End of a Synth Bass

-/-

Can anyone help me with bringing out the low end of a nasty-sawish bass synth. I want to keep that synth high,mid end where it is and bring up the low end on eq seems to make it sound muddy. When listening to a beat in the car with this I could pretty much only hear the modulating synth portion of the bass...I'm a newbie at mixing so advice would be great

An EQ with a spectrum analyzer would be great help as you would be able to see all the harmonics and the fundamental tone.
Boost the desired harmonic or the fundamental tone with a narrow Q-value, and maybe subtract the next harmonic a little bit with a narrow Q to make it smoother.

Though if you use a melody on the saw, the tip above might work bad.
Then I would say it's better to load up another synth with just a sinewave, and let it play the desired bass and blend it in with the saw to increase the bass.
But then, don't forget to try flipping the phase on the sinebass and use the setting that sounds better.

Can anyone help me with bringing out the low end of a nasty-sawish bass synth. I want to keep that synth high,mid end where it is and bring up the low end on eq seems to make it sound muddy. When listening to a beat in the car with this I could pretty much only hear the modulating synth portion of the bass...I'm a newbie at mixing so advice would be great

first rule of this is to let us hear it so we know what the parameters really are

second part is to go back to sound design and change the lowest octave of the synth/s down (but that is always going to be dodgy)

3rd point, try to layer this with the same sound an octave lower but also low-passed so that the upper mids do not cut through and cross-modulate the original synth part

This happens a lot when you're trying to make the reese bass (for neurohop, neurofunk, dnb). What people normally do, is what bandcoach said, layer the same sound, lowpassed, one octave down.

The splitting of frequencies are useful if you want to add fx to the mids/highs (like chorus, reverb), but want to leave the lows clean.

Back