How to avoid repetitiveness in songs?

Ocho88

I make a lot of electronic music with no vocals in my spare time but for some reason most of my songs end up being really repetitive, even if I add a change to it halfway through.

A lot of songs use repetitive chords and stuff, but my songs always seem to be a bit too much every single time.

Is there any method or type of pattern you guys use that I can use to avoid this problem?

try dropping an instrument, then introducing a new instrument but while that new sharp sound comes in have a completly differnt drum pattern.. use the same drum sound just switch the kick up maybee slower or faster.

im still working on ideas myself so good thread, i'l be watching

they mean mix the effects in your song with an eq or reverb to make it sound different. Usually when I make a beat I make an intro, then verse, then hook, then verse etc. but you can do intro, hook, verse, hook, then like an instrumental, then verse and hook if you know what I mean. I might post an example if you need me to.

Thing is that creating variety and maintaining interest is a key part of creating dope music no matter what form it takes....

This is why it is instructive to research techniques and methods used to create harmonic, melodic and rhythmic interest in any genre as well as exploring the use of dynamics (louds and softs) and articulations and other expressive techniques.

For melodic ideas see my 14 tricks to improve your melodies
For harmonic ideas consider chord substitution and reharmonisation
For rhythmic variety consider how you can change a rhythm to create a new twist on the same notes.....

I find automating a number of effects can make sections of your song sound totally different. Also adding in drum and synth fills makes a difference. Listen to one of your favrioute songs and try to figure out what tricks they used for adding variety.

Add subtle little things, use distortion to create texture, catchy melodies/rhythms, interesting instruments, depth, sick rap bars, synths, layers, etc.

Do anything you can to put the listener into that zone. That's something I love about eminems music. Call me a stan, but his shit always gets me in the zone.

I make a lot of electronic music with no vocals in my spare time but for some reason most of my songs end up being really repetitive, even if I add a change to it halfway through.

A lot of songs use repetitive chords and stuff, but my songs always seem to be a bit too much every single time.

Is there any method or type of pattern you guys use that I can use to avoid this problem?

Yes, study chord progression in classical music, or just music theory in general. If you don't understand harmony and what resonates then there will never be any structure or substance to your music.

Instead of adding something else, try removing something. It can drastically alter the feeling of the song, and can bring a lot of energy when you add it back in.

It's so funny but 80% of every song we hear is repetitious, but yes... there are ways to add color and character. I'm no expert and also struggle with this, but I can offer a bit of advise. Lately what I've found that works is risers, fx, and drum fx's. You would be amazed what a simple sound fx can do to the mood of your song. If you take a listen at some of the music your listening to daily.. listen to the non-instrumental stuff that's happening. There's alot of interesting stuff in the background of these songs. Transitions... transitions.. transitions.. you have to have them.. from chorus to versus.. how do you know your in the chorus? How do you know it's the bridge of the song? Key changes... lead in effects... there's tons of ways to build up to these areas of the song. Dropping instruments out helps too, but what's left when you do? The rhythm section is the most important part of the song.. it provides the tempo..

Whatever you do... don't stop.. keep moving forward, just because the stuff your writing right now is not where you want it to be doesn't mean you won't get to where your trying to go in the future. These are those songs that you will listen to down the road and be laughing about... right now.. it's just not really that funny but it will be. Trust me.. I've been there...

I would suggest studying music theory and try deconstructing a few songs. Like really concentrate and take notes as you dissect a beat. It's funny how repetitive beats can be but still sound really good. I am a beginner myself and have the same issue so I am interested to see what other people have to say about it. I think one of the biggest things is just having a really dope melody, chord progression, and a good rhythm of that progression.

Add elements, drop elements, change elements. Add fx, drop fx, change fx. Change volume envelopes. Modulate, truncate, expand, augment, thin, etc. melodies.

Back