How to add distortion to ONLY high freq of a sound?

Dennis1990

I had this idea when I put a song with a guitar sample with a bass guitar under it and ran it through an effect on Guitar Rig

I wanted the effect of guitar rig to just apply on the high end frequencies (guitar) without affecting the low end (bass guitar)

is there a way to have distortion or others effects run through a sample and only affect high or low frequencies and not the whole sample?

multiple versions of the track

high passfilter 0n one and then send to guitar rig

lowpass filter on the other

called parallel processing

There's a neat free plugin called 'fr33some' which does what bandcoach said for you.
There are others, I'm sure, but I like that one.

I normally do what bandcoach said. This technique is well known specially in drum and bass production, when processing reese basses.

I don't know what DAW you are using, but if it's good ol' FL Studio, you can rely on a stock plugin called "patcher". It'll make things much more simple, as you can do all the processing on different frequency ranges while working with only one mixer track.

Another way to do it to create a send track. You have the original track and you output it to another, similar to busing group channels together, but in a single send. In the send channel, place a high pass filter and then the effect. It should only effect the high end while still giving you total volume control in the mix.

Back