How to achieve these sounds/effects?

aceover9

The first is this one:

Aaliyah - At Your Best - YouTube

Right after the main background music kicks in and at 0:29 you hear a piano-esque sound. I am pretty sure it's Rhodes but I can never get any Rhodes sounds I use to sound like that. Is the sound some particular sound and I'm just mistaking it for Rhodes with some effects? If it is Rhodes just what is being done to the sound to give it that music box like tone?

The next is this one:

King of Fighters 96 - In 1996(Opening) - arranged soundtrack.wmv - YouTube

The drums at the beginning have some kind of effect or something done to them to give them that amazing heavy sound. Any ideas?

Last and finally is the synth that plays at the beginning of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwbLEl59KfI

There are the very beginning before the rest of the instruments come in. Does anyone recognize this sound from any VST or have any ideas how to achieve it?

I actually asked about this before but then had a hard drive crash and lost the info and can't seem to find it in my history...

I use FL Studio so if there is any VST or tool out there that works with that that can achieve these sounds directly feel free to make me aware.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The first is this one:

Aaliyah - At Your Best - YouTube

Right after the main background music kicks in and at 0:29 you hear a piano-esque sound. I am pretty sure it's Rhodes but I can never get any Rhodes sounds I use to sound like that. Is the sound some particular sound and I'm just mistaking it for Rhodes with some effects? If it is Rhodes just what is being done to the sound to give it that music box like tone?

Rhodeses tend to sound pretty music-box like by default :) This particular sound is so plain that it's hard to tell whether it's an actual Rhodes or one of the countless emulations or generic "electric piano" sounds from whatever keyboard or plugin.

The next is this one:

King of Fighters 96 - In 1996(Opening) - arranged soundtrack.wmv - YouTube

The drums at the beginning have some kind of effect or something done to them to give them that amazing heavy sound. Any ideas?

Sounds like a heavily distorted & compressed version (and slightly pitched down) version of the Amen break...

Last and finally is the synth that plays at the beginning of this song:

Guilty Gear Blue Water Blue Sky Japanese Vocals - YouTube

There are the very beginning before the rest of the instruments come in. Does anyone recognize this sound from any VST or have any ideas how to achieve it?

A basic pad sound, that could be just about anything - filtered saws or triangle oscs. The high single notes have a bit of a FM sound to them, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. Outside of the Rhodes which seem way enough to locate if they are that basic do you have any insight as to any further settings to achieve those sounds?

I'm really bad at some of this stuff. Like I have no clue about synth programming. Well I have some from what I've learned from this site but not much insight into the nuances.

I'm really bad at some of this stuff. Like I have no clue about synth programming. Well I have some from what I've learned from this site but not much insight into the nuances.

I give the same advice to everyone who says this.
Check out Syntorial:

Syntorial Homepage

It's a great way to get hands-on experience making synth patches, starting with the basics and getting as advanced as you want.
I haven't come across anything quite like it yet.

Once you've mastered that, you can come in here and start talking about advanced patch programming with all of the experienced synthesists. ;)

--Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews/Blog)

Back